Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2013, 08:51:49 AM

Fascist stuff ey. :hmm: I do like stepping outside the normal tourist trail....

If you go, don't miss the Museo della Civiltà Romana, it contains among many other things the famous huge model of ancient Rome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 12, 2013, 09:11:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 09:02:49 AM
Yeah just one of the most iconic spots. :D

Also, I'd throw in (well I don't know its name) but the overlook near Giardino delle Rose. Lovely view of Florence.

Jesus garbon, SPOLIER ALERT, please??  :mad:  Better take Florence off your list now, Jos.

Well Florence is the only city in Italy associated with it's on mental illness, known to cause tourists to go crazy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I've said it before but Rome struck me more as a graveyard of a once amazing city.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It is done, all booked up, ready to go tomorrow night.
Verona has been bumped for Bolgnia as it seems more convenient transport wise; I plan to properly do northern Italy on another trip anyway so I should save one of the better places for then.
In keeping with this my Venice stay is short. I wasn't originally planning to go there at all afterall.
What sights should I rush to in the morning before the crowds of annoying Americans appear?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Alexandru H.

I'm going for the second time in Italy in September.

a) after you visit the Sixtine Chapel, don't go for the big exit. Look for a door in the right side of the Chapel, a door used by organized groups. Wait for the next group to pass and attach yourself to it, ignoring the guards. You'll win 20 minutes extra for the Cathedral.

b) if you want to visit the Borghese Galleries, which are a must-see for me, you need a phone reservation for the exact date and hour of your visit. Try +39 06 32810 but be aware: you might not get it in time... I had to phone a week in advance for them.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on August 05, 2013, 07:20:46 AM
It is done, all booked up, ready to go tomorrow night.
Verona has been bumped for Bolgnia as it seems more convenient transport wise; I plan to properly do northern Italy on another trip anyway so I should save one of the better places for then.
In keeping with this my Venice stay is short. I wasn't originally planning to go there at all afterall.
What sights should I rush to in the morning before the crowds of annoying Americans appear?

If you want to avoid Americans hit Saint Mark's first thing in the morning; then go to Harry's Bar in the afternoon.  The Bellini's are to die for, and you'll never find an American there.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on August 05, 2013, 08:17:55 PM
If you want to avoid Americans hit Saint Mark's first thing in the morning; then go to Harry's Bar in the afternoon.  The Bellini's are to die for, and you'll never find an American there.   :bowler:
:hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2013, 03:07:53 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 12, 2013, 09:11:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 09:02:49 AM
Yeah just one of the most iconic spots. :D

Also, I'd throw in (well I don't know its name) but the overlook near Giardino delle Rose. Lovely view of Florence.

Jesus garbon, SPOLIER ALERT, please??  :mad:  Better take Florence off your list now, Jos.

Well Florence is the only city in Italy associated with it's on mental illness, known to cause tourists to go crazy.

It is also where Leland Stanford Jr died - giving rise to Stanford University in his memory.

Josquius

I think I made a mistake in 4 nights in Rome. Second day now, though yesterday was just half  a day, and despite taking it somewhat easy I've seen most of what there is.
I've yet to go to the Vatican and my colloseum ticket let's me inside the forum too (wouldn't have bought that seperately. Saw most of what there was from outside)

So...Rome...Not half as busy with tourists as expected and many of those that there are speak Italian. The tourist areas are well kept and nice but around them, even  a little way outside their bubble, the place is dirty and covered ingrafiti. Beggars everywhere. Why do the locals object to the metro extension so much? Seems silly. But then  the metro is rather silly.

What is odd is how hot I feel. I have been living somewhere hot but this feels...hotter

It is quite amazing what  Amish mash of periods the city is. Though kind of sad to see how the Christians raped Rome.

I don't know what to do with my last day here. Hmm
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Did you see the Cappuchin monastery? The one with all the bones?

garbon

Really? You've seen all there is to see in Rome in just 1.5 days? :huh:

Also, if that's the case, then take half a day and take bus to Tivoli. Hadrian's Villa is worth a visit as is (well I don't know what it is called) but the park there that has you walking down into the center of that hill.