News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Quebec Soccer Federation's Ban on Turbans

Started by Malthus, June 14, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

the reaction of the Quebec separatist Premier pretty much sums up everything I dislike about separatists.  Basically her position was the Canadian soccer association had to let the Quebec soccer association have all the benefits of being part of the Canadian system without actually having to following any of its rules.

Typical have cake and eat it too separatist thinking.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on June 15, 2013, 12:43:16 PM
at least he didn't source the KKK :D
A Sikh (/siːk/ or /sɪk/; Punjabi: ਸਿੱਖ, sikkh [sɪkkʰ]) is a follower of Sikhi (Sikhism), a monotheistic, monist, pantheist religion that originated in the 15th century from the Punjab region in the Indian subcontinent.[26]

Strange.  In Punjab, the Sikhs don't wear turbans to play soccer.  But here, they must, otherwise we are racists and disrepectful of their religion.

At the least, some tribunals show some sense and have forced them (again, what racists we are) to wear a regular helmet when on a motorcycle.  How terrible that must have been for them :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 02:00:41 PM
Has anyone actually articulated the reason for the Quebec turban ban? I mean, why are they claiming it is necessary?
I imagine it's the same reason the French put all brown people that they allow into their country into ghettos.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2013, 02:52:39 PM
the reaction of the Quebec separatist Premier pretty much sums up everything I dislike about separatists.  Basically her position was the Canadian soccer association had to let the Quebec soccer association have all the benefits of being part of the Canadian system without actually having to following any of its rules.

Typical have cake and eat it too separatist thinking.
Yes seperatists are evil. You should burn them all when you see one, less they corrupt your youth.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2013, 10:52:28 PM
Why are stories in Quebec covered differently then they are in the rest of the world?
Lost in translation.  It ain't unique to Quebec, but you knew that, you're just trolling as usual.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2013, 08:33:43 AM
For those who believe that wearing a turban is an integral part of their faith it is indeed stupid that a soccer federation would require them to take off the turban to play.
Where do you draw the line?  I can't wear a cap if I want to in a soccer game.  But suddenly, if I claim it's part of my belief it becomes ok?  I want to bring a knife in school, but I can't.  But if it's my religion it becomes ok?

The Brain

People hiding behind religion are horrible human beings. Take responsibility for your opinions FFS.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 02:00:41 PM
Has anyone actually articulated the reason for the Quebec turban ban? I mean, why are they claiming it is necessary?
FIFA rules.  If it ain't specifically allowed, it is disallowed.  Burka was mentionned as being allowed.  Turban was not.  Ergo, turban was banned pending clarification of the rules by FIFA.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 15, 2013, 12:43:16 PM
at least he didn't source the KKK :D
A Sikh (/siːk/ or /sɪk/; Punjabi: ਸਿੱਖ, sikkh [sɪkkʰ]) is a follower of Sikhi (Sikhism), a monotheistic, monist, pantheist religion that originated in the 15th century from the Punjab region in the Indian subcontinent.[26]

Strange.  In Punjab, the Sikhs don't wear turbans to play soccer.  But here, they must, otherwise we are racists and disrepectful of their religion.

At the least, some tribunals show some sense and have forced them (again, what racists we are) to wear a regular helmet when on a motorcycle.  How terrible that must have been for them :(

There are a lot of Sikhs in Edmonton, and I know lots of them.

Some of them wear the turban.  Some of them do not.  But it seems only proper and respectful to give them the option.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

So when they ask to wear their kirpan on soccer fields, we should allow them?

garbon

If you look up punjab and football, there are some images of players wearing their turban.

At any rate, is there something about speaking French that encourages people to be intolerant?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2013, 03:46:25 PM
At any rate, is there something about speaking French that encourages people to be intolerant?
How are we intolerant exactly?

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 03:49:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2013, 03:46:25 PM
How are we intolerant exactly?

You've demonstrated in this thread no reason for suddenly taking issue with football players who wear turbans. All of your arguments seems to revolve around the fact that you don't like it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2013, 03:52:11 PM
You've demonstrated in this thread no reason for suddenly taking issue with football players who wear turbans. All of your arguments seems to revolve around the fact that you don't like it.
I played soccer when was I kid.  Even when there was snow outside and we were freezing, it was forbidden to wear a knit cap because it was against the rules.  Why make exceptions for some people and not grant the same rights for everyone?  Wich groups should get what priviledges?  Can I get a list?  Is holding prayer in public assembly acceptable?

If two men holding their hands is disrespectful to my religion, do we forbid public display of affection by gay couples?  Where do we stop?  What is the final authority on what is a deep religious icon and what is not?  Burning bibles is illegal but burning corans is ok?

garbon

Ah, I get it. Nutty anti-religious nonsense.