And we're back!

Main Menu

The Quebec Soccer Federation's Ban on Turbans

Started by Malthus, June 14, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 09:50:45 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 14, 2013, 06:38:30 PM
What really sucks is that most of the turban-wearers would be Sikhs, who are rad.

All actually - at least around these parts.  We have a very large Sikh community which is indeed rad.

Yeah, good people. Universalists as regards salvation, opposed to both the caste structure of Hinduism and the exclusivity of Islam.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 05:46:43 PM... turbans have been worn by soccer players without any incident in Canada, and I suspect the rest of the word, for a very long time.

I've watched and played literally thousands of games. I've never, ever seen anyone wearing headgear (unless you count protective masks for injured players or freezing temps). Then again I mostly watch competitive games and India sucks. Plus a turban seems to be a distinct disadvantage.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on June 14, 2013, 10:10:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 05:46:43 PM... turbans have been worn by soccer players without any incident in Canada, and I suspect the rest of the word, for a very long time.

I've watched and played literally thousands of games. I've never, ever seen anyone wearing headgear (unless you count protective masks for injured players or freezing temps). Then again I mostly watch competitive games and India sucks. Plus a turban seems to be a distinct disadvantage.

I'm pretty sure there are more Sikhs in Canada than in all of continental Europe...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Why are stories in Quebec covered differently then they are in the rest of the world?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grallon

More Canadian multiculturalism motivated bullshit.  They will wallow in it like so many pigs in their own shit.  You may disregard.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on June 14, 2013, 11:00:08 PM
More Canadian multiculturalism motivated bullshit.  They will wallow in it like so many pigs in their own shit.  You may disregard.

You do realize you have only offered an ad hominem argument, and have given no actual argument about why people who wear turbans should be prohibited from playing soccer...

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2013, 11:30:11 PM
Quote from: Grallon on June 14, 2013, 11:00:08 PM

You do realize you have only offered an ad hominem argument, and have given no actual argument about why people who wear turbans should be prohibited from playing soccer...

He's using a Nazi statue as his avatar.  Take a guess.

Grallon

The only argument that matters is that this wanton display of religious fervor offends the majority in Quebec. 

It took us centuries to neutralize Catholic symbolism and influence.  And now we should swallow more of this religious nonsense because Canadians - that is foreigners - tell us it's the 'right' thing to do?!  Because accepting all the mores of those primitive cultures is a mark of civilization according to the 'multikulti' doctrine? 

I don't think so.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Now you see, if you guys let us win in 1775 or in the War of 1812 he'd be a civilized English speaking person.  Of course he'd probably have lots of guns...

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on June 14, 2013, 11:58:51 PM

The only argument that matters is that this wanton display of religious fervor offends the majority in Quebec. 

It took us centuries to neutralize Catholic symbolism and influence.  And now we should swallow more of this religious nonsense because Canadians - that is foreigners - tell us it's the 'right' thing to do?!  Because accepting all the mores of those primitive cultures is a mark of civilization according to the 'multikulti' doctrine? 

I don't think so.

And if I said that speaking French offended the majority in Canada (it doesn't, by the way)?  Or that having gay sex offended the majority?

Majority rule is indeed a powerful argument, but it certainly can not be the only factor...

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 12:12:11 AM

Majority rule is indeed a powerful argument, but it certainly can not be the only factor...

I said it above - religion - the presence of religion - the influence of religion - is a touchy subject in Quebec. 

As a people we have endured this for a great many years - until we finally got rid of it 50 years ago.  And now, under the aegis of the vile Canadian 'multikulti' doctrine we should allow all this to come haunting us back!?  No way!

You people can do as you will in your own country - and we should do as we please in our own!

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on June 15, 2013, 12:24:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 12:12:11 AM

I said it above - religion - the presence of religion - the influence of religion - is a touchy subject in Quebec. 

As a people we have endured this for a great many years - until we finally got rid of it 50 years ago.  And now, under the aegis of the vile Canadian 'multikulti' doctrine we should allow all this to come haunting us back!?  No way!

You people can do as you will in your own country - and we should do as we please in our own!

Sorry to be the one to tell you this G, but after two referendums, you and I do in fact live in the same country... :console:

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 12:45:24 AM

Sorry to be the one to tell you this G, but after two referendums, you and I do in fact live in the same country...

No we don't.  And therein lies the Canadian problem. 

But then again I've been saying this for years - Canada as a country is a fraud - founded on denial.  The anglophone majority willfully denies that the francophone majority in Quebec is anything more than a minority.  I understand the psychological mechanisms behind it all.  It doesn't make it any less illegitimate though. 

And the results of the previous referendums doesnt invalidate my point.  The question was never 'Are Quebecers a separate people?'; we know we are a separate people - the question was: 'Should this separate people' remove itself from the 'Canadian Federation' ?

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

I'm curious on turbans. Surely the could lead to a slight unfair advantage? Made of certain material it could aid with heading the ball, if its big enough it will give you extra reach for knock ons, etc...
██████
██████
██████