And we're back!

Main Menu

The Quebec Soccer Federation's Ban on Turbans

Started by Malthus, June 14, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2013, 01:31:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 01:29:21 PMBah, it's Bullshit, they totally overstep their mandate.

What's their mandate?

Oversee Soccer in Canada. They don't get to pick their membership.

If a member violates the terms of membership - say like commiting an act of discrimination contrary to the Human Rights Code - then they certainly have the jurisdiction to sanction such a member.  The sanction power includes the power to revoke membership.

Malthus

Has anyone actually articulated the reason for the Quebec turban ban? I mean, why are they claiming it is necessary?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 02:00:41 PM
Has anyone actually articulated the reason for the Quebec turban ban? I mean, why are they claiming it is necessary?

Yes, they claimed the Turbans were unsafe.  Hence FIFA's decision to expressly state they are permitted.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 02:04:55 PM

Yes, they claimed the Turbans were unsafe.  Hence FIFA's decision to expressly state they are permitted.

Not quite - the stated reason was that they weren't allowed by FIFA.  Although FIFA's actually policy didn't actually make it sound like they were banned, and then of course FIFA went out and explicitly stated they were not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2013, 02:12:54 PM

Not quite - the stated reason was that they weren't allowed by FIFA.  Although FIFA's actually policy didn't actually make it sound like they were banned, and then of course FIFA went out and explicitly stated they were not.

Now that is getting pretty picky there BB.  The reason given for being in violation of a FIFA rule was the headgear saftey issue I referred to earlier in the thread.

How that is "not quite" claiming the turbans are unsafe is a little beyond my ability of esoteric reasoning.

Malthus

In what way is a turban unsafe for playing soccer? I mean, most people don't wear anything on their head playing soccer.

Edit: I mean in what way is it claimed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 02:24:58 PM

In what way is a turban unsafe for playing soccer? I mean, most people don't wear anything on their head playing soccer.

Edit: I mean in what way is it claimed.

That is just it.  There was no substance to the claim.  Just an assertion that turbans were a violation of the FIFA rule against unsafe headgear without any evidence there was any danger or risk at all.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 01:57:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2013, 01:31:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 01:29:21 PMBah, it's Bullshit, they totally overstep their mandate.

What's their mandate?

Oversee Soccer in Canada. They don't get to pick their membership.

If a member violates the terms of membership - say like commiting an act of discrimination contrary to the Human Rights Code - then they certainly have the jurisdiction to sanction such a member.  The sanction power includes the power to revoke membership.

You cannot not be part of the CSA hence you can't be kicked out of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 02:46:17 PMYou cannot not be part of the CSA hence you can't be kicked out of it.

I don't think that's how it works.

crazy canuck

If they are not "part of it" why is your Premier so concerned their status was removed? :hmm:

Josephus

I guess the argument can be made, not sure, that there might be a pin or something in the turban? Not sure. I know the girls can't play with pins in their hair or anything similar. Not defending this measure. It's obviously thinlly disguised racism at play.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I would be a bit more forgiving about this if turbans were some kind of new headgear being worn and the association had to make a decision without a good frame of reference.  But turbans have been worn by soccer players without any incident in Canada, and I suspect the rest of the word, for a very long time.

fhdz

What really sucks is that most of the turban-wearers would be Sikhs, who are rad.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on June 14, 2013, 06:38:30 PM
What really sucks is that most of the turban-wearers would be Sikhs, who are rad.

All actually - at least around these parts.  We have a very large Sikh community which is indeed rad. 

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on