And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2014, 04:31:38 AM
:lol:
Trying that for the UK I get lots of "Sunderland is in which country" and the like. oh deer...

Why is Barcelona important/famous/so good?  :showoff:

Eddie Teach

Why is Atlanta busiest airport?
Why is Jacksonville called Freakville?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

1. why is vienna called the city of music
2. why is vienna called the city of dreams
3. why is vienna famous
4. why is vienna  the most livable city
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

My current town is too small for the Google to care, but...

Why is Detroit Bankrupt?
Why is Detroit so Dangerous?
Why is Detroit Broke?
Why is Detroit called Motor City?

and my home town:

Why is Grand Rapids called Grand Rapids?
Why is Grand Rapids called Gun Ru?
Why is Grand Rapids imporant?
Why is Grand Rapids famous?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

why is dayton ohio so dangerous?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Why is Vancouver so expensive
Why is Vancouver so warm
Why is Vancouver so boring  :lol:

Eddie Teach

It's boring because it's filled with Canadians, duh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Why is Austin weird
Why is Austin the capital of Texas
Why is Austin so liberal
Why is Austin so great

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2014, 06:51:44 PM
Why is Vancouver so expensive
Why is Vancouver so warm
Why is Vancouver so boring  :lol:

Similar for nyc but switch in cold for warm. also dirty and popular.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

QuoteAs budgets soar, China still fears its military isn't growing fast enough
By William Wan, Published: March 7
washingtonpost.com

BEIJING — When American analysts talk of China's military, they often describe it in terms of the looming threat of the future, a rapidly modernizing and expanding force that could one day rival, or even worse, overtake that of the United States.

Such anxieties were fanned further this week with China's announcement of yet another year of double-digit growth in military spending. The news prompted public alarm from Manila and Tokyo to the Pentagon.

But when China looks at its own army, it is often with fears that it is not big enough and is lacking in competence, modernization and the sheer hardened will of a well-trained force.

Chinese soldiers are wimps, bemoaned a prominent Communist Party publication, describing them as "male soldiers with female characteristics."

"Dangerously corrupt," wrote a famous Chinese colonel in a recent book, describing brothers-in-arms who had been fattened on bribes and grown complacent.

The polar extremes are a reflection of the complex, paranoid and intertwined state these days of the U.S.-China relationship as frenemies.

China's Foreign Ministry scoffed Wednesday at the alarm among the United States and its Pacific allies at China's increased military budget.

"The moderate growth . . . is totally reasonable and justifiable, and there is no need to feel surprised," said Qin Gang, the Foreign Ministry spokesman.

He added with unusually colorful language and sarcasm: "I want to reiterate that the Chinese People's Liberation Army is not a children's army equipped with red-tasseled spears. Some outside China hope to see China stay as a Boy Scout who never grows up."

His reference to child armies and red-tasseled spears drew chuckles online in China, where such images remain as relics from decades gone by.

To Westerners, what's especially notable is that China's rapid expansion has occurred right as the United States and its NATO allies have grappled with cuts.

China's budget announcement Wednesday came just one day after the Pentagon announced plans to cut the U.S. Army to its smallest size in decades.

Chinese military spending now ranks second in the world. But analysts say its official budget — $131.56 billion for 2014 — doesn't include billions spent in secret.

This year's 12.2 percent increase in China is "just what we can see," Adm. Samuel Locklear, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, said in testimony to Congress this week. "There's much more that, I'm told, lie below that."

The U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency estimated that China's real sum for last year could be as high as $240 billion, double the official number.

And IHS Jane's, a defense analysis company, projects that by 2015, China will be outspending Britain, France and Germany combined.

China's army is growing not only in an abstract sense but also in a literal sense, according to an odd but fascinating military report last month. The People's Liberation Army's official newspaper said the average Chinese soldier has grown two centimeters (about 0.8 inches) taller and five centimeters (about two inches) thicker in the waist in the past two decades.

The bigger soldiers have brought with them problems as well as praise, the military newspaper said. Tanks three decades old are now suddenly too snug, and rifle butts are too short, causing accuracy problems.

But for all the talk these days of China's bigger, beefier and expanding force, Chinese analysts clamor that the military budget remains dwarfed by that of the United States. U.S. military spending for fiscal 2014, for example, stood at $526.8 billion, four times that of China.

"China is not as strong as the West describes," said Song Xiaojun, editor of an online Chinese military magazine, who likened the nation's army to a sickly child still on the mend. "I actually don't think the current increase is enough; it should be accelerated."

Analysts here often point out that China's army troops haven't seen combat since 1979.

In a scathing piece two years ago, the Communist Party's influential Study Times newspaper said the Chinese army lacked a manly, martial spirit. It blamed China's one-child policy for raising a generation of entitled, soft little emperors unready for war.

An even bigger problem is corruption, according to Col. Liu Mingfu, a former professor at China's National Defense University. In a 2012 book, he called corruption "the No. 1 danger and No. 1 opponent for the People's Liberation Army," and compared China's current weaknesses to its corruption-riddled forces in 1894 that were soundly defeated by a modernized Japanese military.

Some U.S. experts also subscribe to this alternative narrative of China's army as a bumbling, still-nascent force. Ian Easton, a researcher at the Arlington-based Project 2049 Institute, recently catalogued a long list of embarrassing, Keystone Kops behaviors, such as missile-launch readiness drills that he said include movie and karaoke breaks.

"China's military is in many ways much weaker than it looks," Easton wrote. But what should be frightening to Western powers, he argues, is how China is looking to make up for that weakness with increasing investments in asymmetrical, nontraditional tools of war such as space weapons, ballistic and cruise missiles and cyberwarriors.

The message Chinese officials have tried to convey this week is that those who underestimate China's military as well as those who wish it wouldn't expand quite so fast are equally mistaken.

At the Foreign Ministry briefing — flogging his metaphor of child armies and red-tasseled spears — spokesman Qin said, "Even if China were a Boy Scout, he will grow taller and his feet will grow larger year by year. You cannot simply have him wearing the same small clothes and shoes, can you?"

Monoriu

Seriously, you guys should worry about the Russians  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on March 08, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Save it, Shark Fin Soup.  We know who the real threat is, and it's not Russians with their filthy ethnicky hang-ups and it's not Suq Madiq training with Al Qaeda on monkey bars somewhere in Dirtbagistan.

Barrister

Why is Edmonton YEG
Why is Edmonton the capital
Why is Edmonton called Edmonton
Why is Edmonton so cold
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2014, 11:54:04 PM
Why is Edmonton YEG
Why is Edmonton the capital
Why is Edmonton called Edmonton
Why is Edmonton so cold

Why is Calgary yyc
Why is Calgary so cold
Why is Calgary so windy
Why is Calgary located where it is

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2014, 09:54:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 08, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Save it, Shark Fin Soup.  We know who the real threat is, and it's not Russians with their filthy ethnicky hang-ups and it's not Suq Madiq training with Al Qaeda on monkey bars somewhere in Dirtbagistan.

/shrug.  Feel feel to think what you want to think.  But I just think it is pretty horrible to just march into another country and claim parts of it as your own.  That to me looks suspiciously close to what another guy did in the 30s. If you don't think that's a threat, then don't say you haven't been warned  :menace: