News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It's very odd to be following the NHL Free Agent Frenzy... in the middle of October.

It's always July 1.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2020, 03:07:17 PM
Did someone win yet?

Um, yeah?  Tampa Bay won the Cup.

That's why they just had the draft, and are now doing free agent signings.

The most exciting news of the day, of course, was Winnipeg trading to bring Paul Stastney back to the Peg.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2020, 03:07:17 PM
Did someone win yet?

Yes. The fucking Tampa Bay Lightning.

Still better than having to endure the LA Lakers win another title. Sports suck this year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

In NHL news... the Calgary Flames, hot off the heels of a 7-3 win over the Ottawa Senators, fire their head coach and bring in Darryl Sutter.  Sutter had previously been the Flames head coach from 2002-2006, bringing them to the Stanley Cup finals in 2004.  Sutter was also head coach for the LA Kings and won the Stanley Cup twice with them in 2012 and 2014.

Also, YOUR Winnipeg Jets have a 15-7-1 record good for 2nd place in the North Division, 5th place in the league.

HVC

Walter Gretzky passed away
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Winnipeg Jets hired coach Paul Maurice in January 2014.

Since then Montreal and Vancouver have had 2 coaching changes, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa have had 3 coaching changes, and Calgary has had 4 coaching changes.  In fact Maurice is the second longest-serving coach in the NHL right now (Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper was hired in March 2013).

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2021, 11:36:14 AM

It is remarkable that he became so well known and beloved in his own right.  Very much not just the dad of the Great One.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2021, 03:14:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2021, 11:36:14 AM

It is remarkable that he became so well known and beloved in his own right.  Very much not just the dad of the Great One.

Yeah, he's sort of seen as the "all-Canadian" dad, especially for those in our generation. The sort of guy who'd get up early in the morning on his weekends, and drive his son for hours through a snow storm to play in some pee wee hockey tournament. I think a lot of Canadians relate.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2021, 03:10:34 PM

Since then Montreal and Vancouver have had 2 coaching changes, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa have had 3 coaching changes, and Calgary has had 4 coaching changes.  In fact Maurice is the second longest-serving coach in the NHL right now (Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper was hired in March 2013).

And he's not any good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 05, 2021, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2021, 03:10:34 PM

And he's not any good.

Quote from: BarristerAlso, YOUR Winnipeg Jets have a 15-7-1 record good for 2nd place in the North Division, 5th place in the league.

HVC

Imagine your record with a good coach :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2021, 09:17:34 PM
Imagine your record with a good coach :P

One thing is Jets have hardly played the Leafs at all this year, but have a lot of games against them still to play.  Including a series of 3 in a row next week.  That'll be the real test.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMHU5pW7p4

Life imitates art.  Straight out of the movie Goon.

Barrister