And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

IT Part Deux. The gang gets called back to Derry after many years. Meh. It's in the nature of a part 2 like this that there's very little (or no, in this case) development, and that's a problem from a movie perspective. The constant flashbacks also makes it a bit disjointed. On the plus side of course the theme couldn't be more relevant: every X number of years you get a chance to stop or remove an evil clown, are you prepared to do what it takes to achieve this?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2020, 11:48:45 AM
Lately I've been watching a lot of old episodes of what's my line. Wonderfully twee and posh old school Americana
Oh I love it - that can send me down a rabbit hole in YouTube for hours. It's basically exactly what I think of when I think of Americana.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2020, 04:54:09 PM
Lately I've been watching a lot of old episodes of what's my line. Wonderfully twee and posh old school Americana
Oh I love it - that can send me down a rabbit hole in YouTube for hours. It's basically exactly what I think of when I think of Americana.

The cat!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

My uncle appeared on that show.

He was a space suit salesman.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Tried watching The Duchess with Katherine Ryan. Blech.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Trailer for the new season of The Mandalorian:

https://youtu.be/eW7Twd85m2g
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2020, 02:52:10 PM
Haven't seen Barb Wire. :(

:hug:

It's all right, it's just a B-movie with some worthwhile moments.

Eddie Teach

Warrior Nun. Better than I expected.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 15, 2020, 01:23:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2020, 02:52:10 PM
Haven't seen Barb Wire. :(

:hug:

It's all right, it's just a B-movie with some worthwhile moments.

The opening credits with her tits hanging out are pretty good then it goes straight to shit.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 14, 2020, 11:35:00 AM

The rest of Viper's list is far more questionable, with the Dawn of the Dead remake branded as "better" as the most stupid of the list. Yay, zombies running!  :rolleyes: Italians did it before.  :P
I can't remember the zombies running in this movie... You sure you're not confusing with World War Z?

Not to mention i prefer a kitsch Batman (1966) over the pompous Nolan adaptations, though the latter are always better than Schumacher's movies, at least the last one.
Much prefer the Nolan versions to anything that came before.

QuoteNot to mention the list confuses remakes with new adaptations.
That is essentially the same.

PS: worst remakes list would be probably more interesting and funnier.
Yeah, but not everyone has your patience for watching bad movies :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 14, 2020, 12:41:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 14, 2020, 11:04:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 13, 2020, 09:08:52 PM
And labelled a bunch of movies that were not remakes as remakes.  :lol:
Nope.  All of them are remakes, unless you want to apply an extemely narrow view of "remake" just to be pedantic.  But that would be so out of character coming from you that it can't be possible ;)

:lol:  Yeah, whatever.  Pretend that they are remakes if you want, it still doesn't make them remakes better than the originals.

QuoteWell, if you have a weak spot for constant, annoying singing and b&w movie, it just shows your age.

It's not my age that tells me that a movie with a 93 rating on Rotten Tomatoes (1991 Lion King) is better than the 53% on (your fav, the 2019 remake).
Comparisaons on an aggregator site for movies made way before the site existed aren't exactly reliable.

It's not just my weak spot that shows that the original Magnificent Seven (88% on RT, selected for the US National Film Registry) is better than your preferred 2016 remake (64% rating, no film registry).
:huh: I never said that.  The Magnificent Seven (the original US one) is a remake of the Seven Samurai.  And I much prefer the US western edition to the original one in b&w.
But as I said, I totally understand that some people would prefer the original japanese one.  I just grew up watching westerns and James Bond movies with my dad, so a western has more of an appeal to me.  It ain't reational by anyway, but then again, there's not much rationality in art.
Also, the latest King Kong wasn't too bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2020, 03:58:02 PM

Yeah, but not everyone has your patience for watching bad movies :P

You have it as well. You just think they are good, that's the difference whereas I go for the so-bad-it's-good variety.  :D

Razgovory

I saw a few clips of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones on YouTube.  Christ, I remembered they were bad, but not this bad.  Also the battle scenes look like they are cut scenes from a Play Station 3.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2020, 04:26:12 PM
I saw a few clips of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones on YouTube.  Christ, I remembered they were bad, but not this bad.  Also the battle scenes look like they are cut scenes from a Play Station 3.

Playstation 3? That's being very generous. More like a contemporary console such as a Playstation 2, Gamecube or Xbox (480p mode activated).