News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Indian Elections 2024

Started by Sheilbh, April 19, 2024, 04:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on Today at 03:32:11 PMAgain, so I'm hardly a BJP apologist nor member.

As I understand it (and I can be wrong) though if you're a hindu nationalist you only care about India.  Islam (and to a much lesser extent Christianity) were brought in by outside invaders.  Sikhism, Buddhism, and Jainism are native Indian religions, not brought by outside invaders.  What happened in other countries is immaterial.

(No idea what they think of Zoroastrians who arrived as refugees, but given the incredibly tiny numbers it hardly matters)

Oh - I came across the term they use - "Dharmic religions".  Which basically just means what I said - religions that originate in India, and are hinuism, buddhism, sikhism and jainism.  The fact that buddhism is probably more popular outside of India than inside of it again just doesn't factor in to it.

Edit: pretty sketchy stuff (Quora) suggests that Zoroastrians are actually on pretty good terms with the BJP due to mutual antipathy with muslims.  Sigh.

I get that am I'm suggesting they're lying.  That at least in part the reason they feel animosity towards Islam is because it was the religion of the conqueror.  The religion of the tax collector, of the judge, of the punisher.  that if, as in Indonesia, a couple Gulf merchants had shown up and told them about this great religion that helps you stop drinking so much, they would not feel the same animosity.