Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Here's an effect of Covid-19 I hadn't considered before: researchers are worried that Covid-19, which famously came from Asian bats, could through humans be transmitted to north american bats who would be just as unprepared for it as humans are.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/covid-heightens-conservation-concerns-in-albertas-biggest-bat-cave
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2020, 10:08:39 AM
Here's an effect of Covid-19 I hadn't considered before: researchers are worried that Covid-19, which famously came from Asian bats, could through humans be transmitted to north american bats who would be just as unprepared for it as humans are.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/covid-heightens-conservation-concerns-in-albertas-biggest-bat-cave

That's just batty.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Apparently there are "several" known reinfected persons in Hungary, but it sounded like they don't keep statistics just notes by the chief official from reports. All, it seems, had to be treated due to symptoms both during the spring and the second wave.

It feels weird though, because one would think this would be a massive deal if true, not just mentioned casually on a reporter's question.

Also there 11 under-14s in hospital with covid, but none are in the ICU, they just have underlying health conditions and are monitored accordingly.

crazy canuck

I think the fact there have been cases of people becoming re-infected is now well know, so I don't think it is that big a story anymore.

celedhring

Reported cases are exceedingly rare though. 5 confirmed in Spain.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 02:08:55 PM
Reported cases are exceedingly rare though. 5 confirmed in Spain.

Sure, they are rare, but we know it happens so not a huge story.  I think we have had 2 or 3 in BC. 

edit, the first time it happened here, it got a lot of media attention.  Now, not so much.  Could actually be more cases but it is a known thing now so just more data.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Vienna had a Covidiot rally yesterday of 2500 people. No masks, no distancing, etc. Police refused to act, they say it's up to the health authorities to disband the rally - after that they can enforce the law. The health office said it's not up to them to disband rallies and that's the police's job, and that the government rules are clear.

A few days earlier, 30 anti-maskers walked into a shopping mall as a protest and were almost immediately detained by police.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I saw the craziest thing. It was an ad stating that since there's no competitive hockey going on right now in Canada, that you could send your 14-15 year old to Sweden for 6 weeks to train and play, since they are having games there.

I mean it kind of makes sense from one perspective.  AT that age group you're looking at the CHL drafts coming up for next year.  It's really hard if you think you're going to be a pro hockey player to take a year off like this.

But from a Covid perspective it's madness.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2020, 10:32:34 AM
Who would pay for such an ad?  :hmm:

The company who is hoping you'll pay a boatload of money to them to take your kid to Sweden for a month and a half?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2020, 10:24:25 AM
I saw the craziest thing. It was an ad stating that since there's no competitive hockey going on right now in Canada, that you could send your 14-15 year old to Sweden for 6 weeks to train and play, since they are having games there.

I mean it kind of makes sense from one perspective.  AT that age group you're looking at the CHL drafts coming up for next year.  It's really hard if you think you're going to be a pro hockey player to take a year off like this.

The WHL starts, maybe, in early January. Do Midget AAA have the same schedule?

The Q is playing. The Quebec teams are in midst of a 2 week covid pause but the Atlantic teams have kept on playing & even have spectators.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

heh, I just read this earlier today. Sounds related.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/squash-lacrosse-niche-sports-ivy-league-admissions/616474/
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Somewhere there are well off Canadians sending their kids to Sweden to develop hockey skills, while other talented players have to take the year off because they lack the means. It probably doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things that NHL players 10 years from now will be from wealthier families than otherwise, or that less covid concerned countries will have an advantage in Olympic sports (as their kids developed while other countries shut it down).

But a year's development for kids is also important for academics and social development. With public school programs cutting back, the same shit is happening on a much broader scale and far beyond just hockey. Welcome to a world with an even greater gap developing between the rich and poor.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014