Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Bad photo? She just looks like she is deciding.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2018, 03:21:01 AM
The only theory I've heard on this recent bit with May was she was hoping the EU leaders would be less critical of her plan until she had survived next weekend's Conservative party conference, rather then be dealt a blow immediately preceding it.

Initially I thought the meeting was bad for May, but now I think the EU have done her a favour by dismissing it so quickly and then her strong rebuttal will if anything help her in the run up to the conference.

Zanza

When May first presented Chequers it was presented as a basis for negotiation and the EU was open to discuss most things in Chequers, but obviously not the trade part. During the Salzburg summit, May presented the Chequers proposal as the ultimate offer of the UK with no further room for compromise. That rubbed the EU leaders the wrong way and they decided to openly state their opposition.

She is still making the mistake to play to the domestic audience, e.g. her party conference, instead of trying to actually negotiate with the EU.

This will end in tears. Either because there is no deal and the relationship between the continent and Britain is poisoned for a generation or so. Or because the British accept to break all of Theresa May's unforced red lines and either agree a Northern Ireland backstop or full EEA membership.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on September 22, 2018, 07:13:51 AM
She is still making the mistake to play to the domestic audience, e.g. her party conference, instead of trying to actually negotiate with the EU.

If one wants to stay in power, one always has to make sure to keep one's domestic audience happy. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2018, 03:37:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2018, 03:13:50 AM
Apparently some Euro joke about cherry picking.

Yeah dude, I get the play on words.  But why was she in reality freaked out by a tray of pastries?

She has terrible people skills but is also a type 1 diabetic; the combination probably explains her reaction to Tusk's offer of cake.

Syt

Foreign Secretary Hunt has urged the EU to "step back from the abyss." :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2018, 10:25:47 AM

:lol:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Fog in the channel, continent cut off!

OttoVonBismarck

People need to cheer up. For one, the EU remains an unmitigated disaster at everything aside from being a trade and customs union. Over the next 25 years as it grapples with political dictatorships among its members, a stupid currency that tries to unify monetary policy acress a continent with dozens of different fiscal policies, and increasing need for defense as America goes isolationist  that the EU will never be able to provide Brits won't feel so bad to be divorced.

In the medium term you guys had a plum deal already with the EU and left with no forethought or rationality so there will be some pain. But I have some good news: we're here for you. By we I specifically mean President Donald Trump. Very luckily for you Mr. Trump has substantial investments he has made in the sceptered Isle, and you can rest assured he will not allow his responsibilities as President get in the way of helping shore up his British businesses.

I would expect a sweetheart trade deal, but since trade barriers between America and Britain are already low I'd expect further help. If you've been paying attention Donald has been busy creating intractable trade wars with countries like China, so there's room for mutual benefit here.

That's right: we need you to become China. Firstly you're going to need to take on buying a very large portion of our soybean exports. I don't fully conceive of how a nation of 60m can utilize as much soy as a nation of 1.5bn, but I trust you will make do. You could become the soy product kings of Europe!

We also need people to make our iPhones for us once Trump gets around to levying prohibitive tariffs on those. For it to be economical I suggest creating large "work camps" for prisoners, low income persons and others and allow them to work for 1/10th of the typical British wage to get these phones assembled. Any sort of workplace safety or vacation requirements will need to be waived in these camps, but it's ultimately to everyone's benefit.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 22, 2018, 12:48:01 PM
People need to cheer up. For one, the EU remains an unmitigated disaster at everything aside from being a trade and customs union. Over the next 25 years as it grapples with political dictatorships among its members, a stupid currency that tries to unify monetary policy acress a continent with dozens of different fiscal policies, and increasing need for defense as America goes isolationist  that the EU will never be able to provide Brits won't feel so bad to be divorced.

In the medium term you guys had a plum deal already with the EU and left with no forethought or rationality so there will be some pain. But I have some good news: we're here for you. By we I specifically mean President Donald Trump. Very luckily for you Mr. Trump has substantial investments he has made in the sceptered Isle, and you can rest assured he will not allow his responsibilities as President get in the way of helping shore up his British businesses.

I would expect a sweetheart trade deal, but since trade barriers between America and Britain are already low I'd expect further help. If you've been paying attention Donald has been busy creating intractable trade wars with countries like China, so there's room for mutual benefit here.

That's right: we need you to become China. Firstly you're going to need to take on buying a very large portion of our soybean exports. I don't fully conceive of how a nation of 60m can utilize as much soy as a nation of 1.5bn, but I trust you will make do. You could become the soy product kings of Europe!

We also need people to make our iPhones for us once Trump gets around to levying prohibitive tariffs on those. For it to be economical I suggest creating large "work camps" for prisoners, low income persons and others and allow them to work for 1/10th of the typical British wage to get these phones assembled. Any sort of workplace safety or vacation requirements will need to be waived in these camps, but it's ultimately to everyone's benefit.

Nice one Otto.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2018, 10:25:47 AM
Maybe he actually believes the "they need us more", "we are holding all the cards" or "the EU desperately needs our 39 billion".

Solmyr

Quote from: mongers on September 22, 2018, 03:32:47 PM

Nice one Otto.

Don't laugh, Otto might be completely serious.

Richard Hakluyt

Mr Hunt has risen without trace and holds one of the great offices of state despite his lack of any visible talents. But, unlike people like Gove and Johnson, he has always been loyal to the government. I see his latest outburst as a loyalty display; a bit like a brainless peacock showing his tail to try and get a mate, hunt displays his loyalty in order to gain brownie points just before a likely leadership election.

Admiral Yi

I propose a UN trusteeship until the UK has regained the ability to govern itself.

Zanza

There are media reports about the preparation of a snap election...