Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

As I suspected, it is all the fault of the foreigners  ;)

Josquius

QuoteShe says she has treated the EU "with nothing but respect" and says that she expects the same.

Yeah...this is a all too common one with the brexiters. They have this warped image of things where the UK screaming demands and the EU calmly saying "Thats not possible, do you have a better idea?" is the EU being rude/arrogant/corrupt/some other negative word which completely doesn't apply.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

So basically she said: the EU offered two alternatives, I can't accept either, now its the EU's time to offer the alternative that I can accept.

Sigh.

Syt

Comment on Twitter sums it up well:

QuoteI just don't understand why the EU is looking out for the interest of the countries who are staying in it instead of just giving us everything we want
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Corbyn says no-deal is not an option, and calls on the EU to stop "political games"

Evil EU forcing Brits to ruin  :(

Josquius

Today the pound seems on course for one of its biggest losses in a while. :hmm:

QuoteCorbyn says no-deal is not an option, and calls on the EU to stop "political games"

The ultimate fence sitter. With one sentence appeal to sensible people by promising you won't let no deal happen, and with the other a fish for the idiots; blame the foreigners.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 21, 2018, 09:07:55 AM
Today the pound seems on course for one of its biggest losses in a while. :hmm:

QuoteCorbyn says no-deal is not an option, and calls on the EU to stop "political games"

The ultimate fence sitter. With one sentence appeal to sensible people by promising you won't let no deal happen, and with the other a fish for the idiots; blame the foreigners.

He is a fucking muppet. He was a professional protester and backseat ideological his whole life. He is worse than ideology-free like Boris or May: he is deluded. His road to leadership was the same as Trump's. If there was a bigger leftwing idiot in his party running for leadership, the idiots and the Tory trolls would have elected that idiot instead of Corbyn.

Richard Hakluyt

The most incompetent British government in living memory and they still poll ahead of silly old Corbyn  :(

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 21, 2018, 09:20:06 AM
The most incompetent British government in living memory and they still poll ahead of silly old Corbyn  :(

Yeah, it is really a shame what Labour is doing while the country needs leadership.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Seeing a few Tory politican comments, it is quite clear that Operation Blame the EU And Hope We Survive is gearing up to a full assault.

Looks like Corbyn will be unlikely to call them out on that. He'll just blame the Tories and the EU.

Razgovory

Something I don't understand.  There are people who want a "Hard Brexit"  Why?  Wouldn't that cause a recession?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Nationalists are delusional by nature, but they seem to be under the impression that if they hard Brexit than Britain will teleport to another part of the world and they will never have to deal with the EU again...instead of continually having to do so from a position of weakness from this point forth indefinitely. Britain risks being increasingly economically and diplomatically isolated if they adopt some sort of hardline anti-EU position. It is not the like the USA, or anybody else, is going to back Britain against a larger and more important country like Germany...much less a combination of Germany and 20+ other countries.

So it is in their best interests to Brexit in a way that keeps relations with the EU as friendly as possible. An antagonistic relationship would be a disaster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I think the basis of their world view is that outside of the EU the British Empire is eagerly waits to be re-created.

Heck, they even called their project of strenghtening African economic relations Empire 2.0

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 21, 2018, 11:19:22 AM
Heck, they even called their project of strenghtening African economic relations Empire 2.0

:unsure: That seems like poor branding for an African initiative. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."