News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

First chapter of The Jungle Book worked.  Choked me up a bit reading it.  :cry:

Library doesn't have any Roald Dahl of any kind.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2017, 12:16:13 AM
First chapter of The Jungle Book worked.  Choked me up a bit reading it.  :cry:

Library doesn't have any Roald Dahl of any kind.

Not even the kid books? What kind of library is this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Ah, didn't check the kids section.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2017, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: Gups on March 02, 2017, 08:14:15 AM
I read some short stories by Chekhov recently (The School Mistress collection). I enjoyed them but assuming Kipling is mama Yi's taste, wouldn't recommend them to her.

Yi - maybe Somerset Maugham, Road Dahl, Conan Doyle?

Someone else recommended Dahl.  Do you have a title?

Not sure if Kipling is her taste or not.  So far she has enjoyed Garrison Keiler, disliked Hemingway, liked Twain.

There's a bunch of collections. Most famous are Tales of the Unexpected. It's decades since I read them.

If she liked Garrison Keilor, try Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. Similar set of interlinked small town short stories and very good

How about PG Wodehouse?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on March 03, 2017, 03:08:49 AM
There's a bunch of collections. Most famous are Tales of the Unexpected. It's decades since I read them.

If she liked Garrison Keilor, try Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. Similar set of interlinked small town short stories and very good

How about PG Wodehouse?

You'll have to sell me a little on Wodehouse.  Cheeves, right? 

Will put Strout on the short list.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2017, 03:23:35 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 03, 2017, 03:08:49 AM

How about PG Wodehouse?

You'll have to sell me a little on Wodehouse.  Cheeves, right? 

Will put Strout on the short list.

Wouldn't necessarily read him myself (though I have done) but his stories have a similar kind of gentle humour as Twain

Jeeves.

Pishtaco

G K Chesterton's Father Brown stories?

Neil

Finally got around to reading Andrew Gordon's Rules of the Game.  As an avid Jellicoeite, it really provided a good case for some criticisms not only of Jellicoe, but of the culture of the Royal Navy.  At the same time, it was realistic about Beatty and Evan-Thomas, both their bad points and their strengths.  It really established the background to the tactics of Jutland, with particular attention to the split around George Tryon's tactical ideas.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

Just about finished with American Gods.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I nabbed the 10th anniversary edition with the expanded text.  Has anyone read the original and the expanded to compare?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

I just started to read The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi, by Wilson. I got to page 5 of the prologue, where the author claims that the battleship Musashi was named after Miyamoto Musashi. I hate it when this happens! Now I probably won't be able to bring myself to read the book since I can't trust the author. I'm not an expert on Miyamoto Musashi, I need a book I can trust. Goddammit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 11, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
Just about finished with American Gods.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I nabbed the 10th anniversary edition with the expanded text.  Has anyone read the original and the expanded to compare?

You mean it's not just a larger font?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

barkdreg

Quote from: Pishtaco on March 03, 2017, 05:57:23 AM

Quite boring. Always the same: the atheist did it because without belief in God it is impossible to have morals.

Barrister

Quote from: barkdreg on March 20, 2017, 03:45:27 PM

Quite boring. Always the same: the atheist did it because without belief in God it is impossible to have morals.

Hey there stranger. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: barkdreg on March 20, 2017, 03:45:27 PM

That's unfair. Sometimes it was the Jew

Syt

For $15 you can buy 15 Warhammer - Horus Heresy books, plus some other goodies.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/horus-heresy-warhammer-book-bundle
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.