News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Alas, Babylon. Just in time for the Trumpenreich.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Collected Bloom County comics by year on Humble Bundle for those inclined to read these:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/bloom-county-comics-bundle

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

I guess that is Ed with his home in Normandy in the background.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2017, 11:18:51 PM
I guess that is Ed with his home in Normandy in the background.

:lol:

Damn, I must lift with those arms.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. Really loved the book, up until the ending which was ... meh?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

If they are "wings" of desire, why is she holding a drumstick?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 07, 2017, 10:47:51 PM
With a pun in the title like that, this book is clearly aimed at Languish.  :lmfao:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2017/05/05/kfc-publishes-romance-novel-for-mothers-day-starring-col-sanders-with-ripped-muscles.html

KFC sponsored a few B movies way back when in exchange for Col Sanders cameos: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0761571/

E.g. "Hell's Bloody Devils"

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 15, 2017, 01:20:35 AM
If they are "wings" of desire, why is she holding a drumstick?  :hmm:

Nice catch.  :showoff:

Savonarola

I finished The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.  There are some interesting insights in it; but, as a whole, the book is a better guide to understanding "Star Wars" than it is to understanding myth and legend.  The one thing that caught me by surprise in the book was how often he made reference to Freudian psychology.  Given the subject matter, if there was psychology at all I would have expected it to be Jungian.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Interesting. How did he work Freud in there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on May 19, 2017, 09:31:32 AM
I finished The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.  There are some interesting insights in it; but, as a whole, the book is a better guide to understanding "Star Wars" than it is to understanding myth and legend.  The one thing that caught me by surprise in the book was how often he made reference to Freudian psychology.  Given the subject matter, if there was psychology at all I would have expected it to be Jungian.

Have yet to read it, but I read "The Writer's Journey" which is based mostly on it, but written explicitly with (Hollywood) story structure in mind, and pointing out examples from Wizard of Oz to Pulp Fiction and Romancing the Stone.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2017, 09:34:11 AM
Interesting. How did he work Freud in there?

He frequently makes reference to dreams and their interpretation in order to illustrate elements of what he calls the monomyth.  Also he makes frequent references to the Oedipal Complex in that both monsters and anything to be reconciled with are interpreted as the father figure, while anything to be pursued is the mother figure.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on May 19, 2017, 09:31:32 AM

Freud lends himself easier to comparative archetype studies, and he was all the rage when Hero was written;  Campbell gets Jung more involved (ironically, as Jung gets more popular) as he gets older and explores larger societal themes, but he never really dispenses of one for the other.

Should check out his big lecture series from PBS back in the day if you can.  Neat stuff.

mongers

I have a working e-reader again; can I say locked and loaded?  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"