News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hearthstone

Started by Syt, December 16, 2013, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Shit, son, this game is tough.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Ran into a 'lock who ROFLstomped me in a hilarious way. (I was hunter.)

He kept my stuff off the board, and I didn't get my removal cards when I needed them. So he had buffed up two small demons with other cheap cards and then merged two of them with a void terror (or walker?), creating a 12/10 card on which he applied a taunt buff. And then, a turn later, he duplicated the thing with a faceless manipulator. Talk about a world of hurt.

Scip: I found the videos from TotalBiscuit pretty helpful (his Lord of the Arena series) for basic tactics. Also, when you play for a while you will get a feeling for what cards to expect from which opponents, when it makes sense to gun for minions and when for the opponent, when to play "bullet magnets" or baits, and which opponent cards have to go a.s.a.p. (e.g. questing adventurer, most cards with windfury etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Fucking mage pyroblast cunt shit cock whore fuck!  :ultra:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2014, 02:00:09 AM
Fucking mage pyroblast cunt shit cock whore fuck!  :ultra:

Seedy is that you?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

:P

It's just that Pyroblast is IMHO the most retarded card in the game. Starting turn 8 (you reach max mana/action points on turn 10) a mage can deal 10 direct damage that can't be blocked, provided he has drawn the card by then, for which there is a pretty good chance. You start with 30 health, so 10 damage means 1/3 of your total health pool. And they can put that card in their deck twice.

If you play a character that doesn't have inherent heal abilities (like priest, or pally) and can't armor up (like warrior) you're rather screwed unless you have created a crazy board advantage (which the mage has some silly AOEs that can negate that VERY quickly).

I find the best way to go into a game against a mage is to presume I only have 10 health to begin with.

As in the last game: my rogue was keeping the pressure up. On turn 8 I had five minions on the board, he had none. I had 10 health, he had one. Mage turn, pyroblast, gg.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

So... the whole mages being OP is a Blizzard wide phenomenon instead of just a WoW thing?  Huh.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grey Fox

Pretty much, someone at Blizz really like their Black Mages in FF.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Mages are fine, l2p.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

I just got into the beta a few days ago. It's pretty addicting. I've already spent real money.  :blush:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Had a fun round as druid in arena yesterday. Playing against a priest, we were pretty much trading minions tit for tat without anyone gaining the upper hand. He had 24 health, I had 17. Around turn 12 or so I had a boulderfist ogre (6/7) and a buffed, damaged frostwolf champion (6/4) on board, and he had a rogue's gallery of mid range minions - 4 or 5 with 2 to 4 attack  - out but no taunt.

My turn and I look at my hand. "Hm, can deal 12 damage. Hang on, I got the buff that gives all your characters +2 attack. Oh, and I have a creature buff that gives one minion +4. And I have claw that gives me +2 again."

:unsure:

:menace:

Hit him for 24 damage that turn and won the game - Boulderfist hit him for 12, frostwolf for 8, and I for 4.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Man, I've become kind of addicted to this. Haven't spent any money though, but it is a lot of fun.

I am surprised that there aren't any interrupts of any kind - seems kind of like maybe a flaw in the game, that you really can't respond to the other players actions during their turn.

Berkut

Friend me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Kleves

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2014, 11:53:09 PM
I am surprised that there aren't any interrupts of any kind - seems kind of like maybe a flaw in the game, that you really can't respond to the other players actions during their turn.
Secrets kind of fulfill this role.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

There's numbers. They matter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.