News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Global Warming and Rising Sea Levels

Started by Jacob, June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interactive google map showing the impact of rising sea levels: http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=49.1682,-122.9123&z=6&m=4

It's on Vancouver (my house is fine unitl 50m+ :) ), but you can move it anywhere you want (Denmark is not sitting pretty).

Viking

Not a problem

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/sweden-the-land-of-the-rising-coastline-8373787.html

QuoteThe uplift of almost a centimetre a year, one of the highest rates in the world, is part of a geological rebound that has been taking place since the end of the Ice Age removed a vast ice sheet from regions around the Arctic Circle. "It's a bit like a foam rubber mattress. It takes a while to return to normal after you get up," said Martin Vermeer, a professor of geodesy at Aalto University in Finland. Finland gains 2.7 square miles a year as the land rises.

QuoteMeanwhile, elsewhere in the world, many nations are worried by the costs should sea levels rise in line with scenarios modelled by UN climate-change scientists – in 2007, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicted increases of between 18cm and 59cm during this century, after 17cm in the last one. As a result, representatives of almost 200 governments are currently meeting in Doha, Qatar, to try to revive a UN-led effort to slow climate change, which is also projected to cause more floods, droughts, heatwaves and powerful storms.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

+60 and still dry. So the gun nut is gooooooooooood..  :showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Now this is interesting.  What a wonderful world that is to come.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Where I live now in Atlanta, good at +60.

Where I grew up in Camilla, good until about +40.

Where I used to have a place in New Orleans...about +3 floods.

Barrister

Aren't almost all of the flooding estimates wildly pessimistic?

Aren't most estimates of sea level rise somewhat less than 1-2m?  This will still be catestrohpic in certain areas, but  nothing like the massive and widespread flooding this tool suggests.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

:lol:  Back in the 70s when everyone was worried about global cooling, Jake would've been sharing scary glaciation maps.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2013, 02:55:55 PM
:lol:  Back in the 70s when everyone was worried about global cooling, Jake would've been sharing scary glaciation maps.

:huh:

But this isn't the 70s, and nobody is worried about global cooling...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

The area around Laval begins to have trouble at 7m, Charlemagne will be flooded.  9m, the eastern part of Montreal's island is flooded.

At 2m, I lose the highway near my city.  At 60m, my step-sister and my step brother are underwater but I'm still ok, my house becomes beachfront property and probably increase twofold in value.  Who says there was nothing positive to global warming??
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

At 30m, my house becomes beach front property :cool: At 40m I'm underwater.

I don't care about global warming, the earth wasnt build for us anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2013, 02:57:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2013, 02:55:55 PM

:huh:

But this isn't the 70s, and nobody is worried about global cooling...

:mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Most of the world would be long drowned before the water ever gets all the way up here. I'd have bigger problems by then I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 12, 2013, 03:15:59 PM
Most of the world would be long drowned before the water ever gets all the way up here. I'd have bigger problems by then I think.

The world has almost completely drowned and you worry about YOUR problems?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.