News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

LED-LCD vs Plasma TVs

Started by Siege, June 05, 2013, 12:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I was considering buying a 60" Samsung smart-tv, the UN60F6300, which is at $1400 in the PX, but appearenly Plasma technology have improved in the last year or so, and some people are saying that plasma TVs are better than LED-LCDs.
What do you think?
This is the samsung UN60F6300:  http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/samsung-tv/samsung-un60f6300.html

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Oh, right now I got a 40" Sony Bravia LCD, but is not an smart tv, so no wi-fi, and I have to connect a laptop to it to watch netflix.

Grey Fox

Do you play video games on it? If No, get a plasma.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Don't buy Samsung. They're evil.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

From my humble perspective there isn't much difference between LCD and plasma, and hasn't been for a while.  Plasma does consume a bit more power, so it does add add slightly to your electricity bill.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2013, 12:16:12 PM
Oh, right now I got a 40" Sony Bravia LCD, but is not an smart tv, so no wi-fi, and I have to connect a laptop to it to watch netflix.

Ratehr than buy a brand new tv, just buy a $99 Apple TV to watch Netflix on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

A couple months back I got a 60'' Plasma, with GF's good advice...

Much less expensive than the alternatives and great picture quality.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2013, 12:49:54 PM

:lol:  Right on time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2013, 12:52:32 PM
A couple months back I got a 60'' Plasma, with GF's good advice...

Much less expensive than the alternatives and great picture quality.

Because of moi?

:)

I need to heed my own advice & buy an HDTV someday.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

BB:
:frusty: :bash:   
My Step sister is an Apple fanatic just like you, and often she makes want to go all Gibbs on her :P

Siege:
Go with GF advice.  If you game with a console, go LCD, otherwise plasma.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2013, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2013, 12:49:54 PM

:lol:  Right on time.

I'm just trying to save Seigey some money.  Is that such a bad thing?  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

I don't have a console, but I may in the near future.

Reliability wise though, they are pretty much the same, right?

Also, I hear that LED-LCD have a limited angle for watching. My current TV is LCD but not LED, and I don't have any problem with angles...

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2013, 02:28:16 PM
Also, I hear that LED-LCD have a limited angle for watching. My current TV is LCD but not LED, and I don't have any problem with angles...

It really varies by individual model of TV.  Some LCD TVs have great viewing angles, others are limited.  Smartest thing to do is narrow it down to a few models you like and read up on their reviews online.

I'm sort of going through the same thing, though I'm looking for a 50" TV and don't need any smart features since I have Google TV.  I've found about 4 TVs I got close to ordering before I read a bad review or uncovered a detail that was a deal-breaker.

crazy canuck

I didnt start out wanting a smart TV but I found that the only models that had the kind of quality I was looking for were also smart TVs.  Now I quite like the convenience of having a smart TV and I am happy I didnt settle for less.

Tamas

Plasma is dead.

By a Samsung LCD.