News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Roman Conception of Republicanism

Started by Queequeg, May 13, 2013, 01:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I just re-watched HBO's Rome.  It's not as good as when I was a teenager, but it made me curious about something I hadn't thought of before; what was the Roman conception of the Republic?  In Ancient Greece there was the great conflict between different systems-democracy, oligarchy, various types of Monarchy-but the Republic started as a kind of half-Monarchy with the old Kings (who were elected anyway) replaced by dual Consuls.  Was there really an ideology of Republicanism that lead Romans to, say, sympathize with the Athenian in histories of the conflict with Sparta?  Would the Romans look at the historic democratic Greek city states and recognize core similarities in governance? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Obviously they did since they declared the founding of their Republic to be exactly one year before the Democracy of Athens just so they could claim to be better than the Greeks.  Also their quasi-legendary history is full of people resisting tyranny which jibes with Greek sensibilities on the matter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Would people have referred to "good Republican values" though? 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Before speculating about what US Grant's cognomen might be I suspect that Roman republicanism has little to do with internal improvements, freeing the slave and 40 acres and a mule.

The roman republic was a kingless monarchy where the aristocracy as a whole participated in being king through the senate and the consuls. They would have thought themselves to have little in common with the democratic rabble of athens or the rexite homoi of sparta. The roman upper class wanted the prestige and usefulness of greek culture and philosophy but they almost certainly saw their system as unrelated and superior to the greek ones. Thats what Polybius writes about, massaging Roman egos about how they can admire the achievement of greek art, culture and philosophy why feeling superior in their politics.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 01:33:38 PM
I just re-watched HBO's Rome.  It's not as good as when I was a teenager,

As opposed to now, as an older teenager?  Fuck, it was just on, man.

Admiral Yi

Squeelus became a man while in Turkey.

CountDeMoney

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 07:01:51 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 01:33:38 PM
I just re-watched HBO's Rome.  It's not as good as when I was a teenager,

As opposed to now, as an older teenager?  Fuck, it was just on, man.
It ended in 2007.

CountDeMoney

Queequeg

So it looks like we one person arguing that the Romans did understand their Republic as fundamentally similar to the various types non-monarchic Greek states of the Classical period, and one person arguing that there was no fundamental similarity between the two, and none was understood by the Romans to have existed.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 11:16:15 PM
So it looks like we one person arguing that the Romans did understand their Republic as fundamentally similar to the various types non-monarchic Greek states of the Classical period, and one person arguing that there was no fundamental similarity between the two, and none was understood by the Romans to have existed.

I guess I would question Viking on how the popular assemblies, the Tribunes, and quasi-legendary events like the secession of the Plebes fit into his version.  Besides constitutionally the Senate was an advisory body only I believe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on May 14, 2013, 01:10:43 AM
WTF dude, HBO's Rome is great
There's a lot done well and a few things done very poorly.

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on May 14, 2013, 01:21:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 14, 2013, 01:10:43 AM
WTF dude, HBO's Rome is great
There's a lot done well and a few things done very poorly.

still great. Show me a better historical-ish TV series.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 12:00:08 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 11:16:15 PM

I guess I would question Viking on how the popular assemblies, the Tribunes, and quasi-legendary events like the secession of the Plebes fit into his version.  Besides constitutionally the Senate was an advisory body only I believe.

All political systems have some fundamental similarities. I did not claim there were none or that none were seen by the romans, but rather the romans saw their system as different and unique and not as a version of any of the greek systems. I just think that they would see their system as being as different from that of sparta or athens as we today see our system today being from China or Saudi Arabia.

The assemblies were not deciding bodies, they were electing bodies. Furthermore the system of centuries weighted the system towards the aristocracy. In athens you got your vote by being a citizen, serving as a galley rower of no property was enough. In rome the equivalent job lands you in the last century with the rest of the ignored capite cencisi.

We like the word democracy today due to it's positive connotations but at the time it was seen as a mobocracy ready to self destruct at the first sign of an alcibiaides or an adolf hitler.

I don't think the secession of the plebs, the role of the tribune of the plebs and the informal nature of the senate weakens my argument here. I think they saw representative rule as opposed to monarchic despotism or direct democracy as being it's own kind of thing, not a variant either of the other two.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.