News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2016, 12:10:41 AM
Nope...not at all.  And Cruz?  For all his obstruction, his alienation of his fellow Senators, his wars on everything from Planned Parenthood to the Export-Import Bank to immigration to Obamacare:  whenever he has had the opportunity, he has taken advantage of every procedural tool in the book to do everything in pissing off everybody, GOP and Democrat alike from Congress to the White House, by doing everything from forcing votes on Saturdays to shutting down the government. 

He's like the anti-LBJ

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 12, 2016, 12:13:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2016, 12:10:41 AM
Trump?  Who the fuck knows.  Tom Brady.  Joy Behar.  Tom Cruise.  Kathie Lee Gifford.

Oprah.

Trump/Winfrey 2016.  :showoff:

Martinus

QuoteKasich: 'I'm a Traditional Marriage Guy,' But SCOTUS Ruled, 'Let's Move On,' 'What the Hell Are We Doing' With Mississippi Law?

by IAN HANCHETT
11 Apr 2016
Republican presidential candidate Ohio Governor John Kasich stated that he's "a traditional marriage guy" but that "We had a Supreme Court ruling, and you know what, let's move on" and  "What are we going to do, write a law? I read about this thing they did in Mississippi where apparently you can deny somebody service because they're gay. What the hell are we doing in this country?" During a Town Hall on CNN on Monday.

Kasich said, "I'm a traditional marriage guy, okay? I believe a man and a woman, but, I went home one day, I said, 'Sweetie, we've been invited to a gay wedding.' This was after the court. I said, 'What do you think?" she said, 'Well, I'm going, I don't know if you are or not.' And we went, and look, here's the thing, we may disagree with something about people's lifestyles and all those kinds of things, we may disagree, but you know what, let's try to understand each other a little bit. What are we going to do, write a law? I read about this thing they did in Mississippi where apparently you can deny somebody service because they're gay. What the hell are we doing in this country? I mean, look, I may not appreciate a certain lifestyle, or even approve of it, but I can — that doesn't mean I've got to go write a law and try to figure out how to have another wedge issue, because one of the things that's happening, on this issue itself, is that there are politicians that are using it to get publicity, which ultimately divides us. We had a Supreme Court ruling, and you know what, let's move on. Let's move on from where we are."

He was then asked, "So the argument that's made in Mississippi, North Carolina, that this is about religious freedom, you don't necessarily buy that?"

Kasich responded, "I think if you're a photographer, okay, and you are deep Christian and you object to going to a gay wedding, okay. So somebody comes in, and they say, 'Okay, we want you to be our photographer,' photographer says, you know, 'I'd really not be comfortable doing that.' If I were trying to arrange a gay wedding, I might go down the street to another photographer. Why do I need to raise all this cane about this? and frankly, if I'm selling cupcakes, why don't I just sell a cupcake? That's what I do in commerce. It gets to be a tricky thing about how much you involve somebody against some deeply held belief. But most of the time, I think we can accommodate one another, don't you?"

I bet Trump probably thinks the same privately but he has to compete with the Insano Ted.

Lettow77

Yankee interlopers, in this and every era, seek to subvert the South's oppressive, regressive monoculture  :(
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Adding that hyphen is really retro of you, ジェームズ・クラベルさん.

But it's Kasich that is the gaijin here- He talks about a "we" in "What are we doing in this country?" while describing the domestic affairs of a nation entirely removed from his. The South is a world unto itself without recourse to the opinions of Ohio or such Croatians as it chooses to lead it. Yankees are foreigners.

Eddie Teach

The Southern nation exists only in your mind. We are Americans, though I suppose you're well on your way to being Tokyo Rose.

Lettow77

It is fair enough that Southerners have for centuries distinguished themselves as excelling their northern overlords in fealty to the American idea-  Like the Scots bleeding on every continent for the "british" nation, the South has shown a bottomless and militant devotion to the American idea that far and away exceeds that of the yankee rapscallions for whose benefit the enterprise is engaged.

But an exceeding loyalty to the one identity does not erase the other; The South, deprived of its seat at the family of nations by the mongrel blood of hireling hordes, may well not be a country with political borders. It may only be a shared idea that exists only in the mind, but it's far from the case to say it exists only in mine.

Berkut

You and Marty should have babies together.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Love those quotes from Kasich. Victimless moral disagreements should never be written in the law of the land, and that doesn't mean you are forced to disown your beliefs.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 12, 2016, 10:20:02 AM
But an exceeding loyalty to the one identity does not erase the other; The South, deprived of its seat at the family of nations by the mongrel blood of hireling hordes, may well not be a country with political borders. It may only be a shared idea that exists only in the mind, but it's far from the case to say it exists only in mine.

Sure, there's a few other crazies like you out there. But don't get (regional) Southern pride confused with the desire for a nation. Like one popular saying goes "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God".

Valmy

I hope Lettow has children so he can teach them their proud Japanese-Southern space empire future.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2016, 10:23:02 AM
Love those quotes from Kasich. Victimless moral disagreements should never be written in the law of the land, and that doesn't mean you are forced to disown your beliefs.

Indeed.

I think if Kasich came out with the nomination, I would actually break my vow to not vote for any Republican on principle this cycle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Yeah, like him a lot too. Too bad if you need to Trump or Cruz to get the nomination - so from those two, I prefer Trump.

Lettow77

Are you sure that saying means what you'd like it to mean? It seems pretty clearly to point to the supremacy of Southern identity to me.

But America is a proposition country, and an empire that encompasses many cultures without any one people. There are Germans, and there are Japanese, but there are no Americans by the same vein- although there are Southerners. When the ideological underpinnings and social contract of the USA have fallen away in strange centuries, Southerners may yet remain as a national-cultural identity, and reassert themselves.

How long did the likes of Latvia languish under more determined imperialists and more fearful odds? If a handful of forest pagans can endure a millenia's trials and remain in existence, I suppose there will be Southerners some few hundred years from now, until such time as they can assume their independence- For then, even should the American empire endure, there will be the endless vistas of Space. :)

Edit: "I hope Lettow has children?" You realize I have a son, right? :unsure: