And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Romney still fighting tooth and nail to deliver Michigan for Trump tonight:

Romney making Michigan robo calls for Kasich, Rubio

As part of the effort to prevent Donald Trump from securing the Republican presidential nomination, 2012 nominee Mitt Romney is making automated telephone calls on behalf of Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida.

Romney's calls are being used by Kasich for today's primary in Michigan — where Romney grew up, and won the GOP primary four years ago — while Rubio is pulling them out for that state and the other three voting today: Mississippi, Idaho and Hawaii. A total of 150 delegates are at stake today in votes that award them on a proportional basis to candidates who achieve a minimum threshold (15 percent in Michigan and Mississippi, 20 percent in Idaho; Hawaii is a caucus).

The thrust of the "robo-calls" is more anti-Trump than pro-Rubio or Kasich. Romney advocates voting for "a candidate who can defeat Hillary Clinton and who can make us proud," The New York Times reported.

"If we Republicans were to choose Donald Trump as our nominee, I believe that the prospects for a safe and prosperous future would be greatly diminished—and I'm convinced Donald Trump would lose to Hillary Clinton."

Whether the Romney calls will be used for Kasich in Ohio is not known.

Romney accelerated the anti-Trump movement last week with a blistering televised attack saying he would be bad both for the country and the Republican Party. A new poll for ABC News today indicates the #NeverTrump effort may be having an effect; while Trump remains in the lead nationally, the standing of Kasich, Rubio and Sen. Ted Cruz all has increased—Kasich's the most. And both Cruz and Rubio would beat Trump in a one-on-one contest, according to the poll, which did not measure a potential Kasich matchup with just Trump.

garbon

I love the coverage on the Guardian's site. What is not to love about Louise? :D

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/mar/08/trump-clinton-primary-michigan-mississippi-idaho-hawaii-sanders-us-election-2016?page=with:block-56df4cf6e4b0dda74674878c#block-56df4cf6e4b0dda74674878c

QuoteMichigan voter profile

Name: Louise Jenkins

Voted for: "Hilltron." Clinton? "Yes, Whatever her name is."

Lives in: Hamtramck, Michigan

Jenkins said she believes Clinton is "for the people" and would "make a good president". She has nothing against Clinton's opponent Bernie Sanders, but she believes Clinton exudes a presidential authority whereas Sanders does not.

"She got my vote," Jenkins said, pounding the fists of two other voters walking into the station.

Jenkins agreed to be photographed but would not pause long enough to look at the camera.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2016, 05:37:52 PM
Romney still fighting tooth and nail to deliver Michigan for Trump tonight:

Romney making Michigan robo calls for Kasich, Rubio
Whether the Romney calls will be used for Kasich in Ohio is not known.

What kind of crap journalism is that? Is this a great mystery of the universe? Does anyone know? Has the Kasich campaign yet to decide? Or did the journalist just not ask and that sounded better than "I don't know whether the Romney calls will be used for Kasich in Ohio".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

CNN is reporting Cruz now within the margin of error of Trump in national polls.

From memory, they have Trump 30, Cruz 27, Kasich 24 (!), Rubio 20.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2016, 06:30:10 PM
CNN is reporting Cruz now within the margin of error of Trump in national polls.

If one of rubio and kasich gets out, the remaining may be quite a force.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

What happened to trigger the change in Trump's support, and how likely is it to take?

LaCroix

IMO, people treat him more seriously now. before, he was a joke candidate

Eddie Teach

Or maybe they treat him less seriously now that he's talked about his johnson.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 08, 2016, 06:51:22 PM
Or maybe they treat him less seriously now that he's talked about his johnson.

did that become a massive story or just another run-of-the-mill trump stories?

Eddie Teach

Dunno. All the late night comedians had a field day with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2016, 06:30:10 PM

jimmy olsen

This would be one of the biggest upsets of all time if this sticks

Michigan 9%
Sanders 86,062 50.2 0 
Clinton 82,341 48.1 0 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2016, 08:43:54 PM

Michigan 9%
Sanders 86,062 50.2 0 
Clinton 82,341 48.1 0 

I want to believe, but I fear that will all change once Detroit reports in. :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on March 08, 2016, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2016, 08:43:54 PM

Michigan 9%
Sanders 86,062 50.2 0 
Clinton 82,341 48.1 0 

I want to believe, but I fear that will all change once Detroit reports in. :(

666/4,830 precincts (13.7%) reporting

Bernie Sanders 102,519  50.1

Hillary Clinton
98,442  48.1%

204,808 total votes
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Looks like Trump has won Michigan and Mississippi decisively.

Michigan (20.3%) reporting

Bernie Sanders
133,428 50.9%

Hillary Clinton
123,424  47.1%

261,910 total votes

1 Karma Chameleon point