News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on March 02, 2016, 02:33:50 PM
I think Trump is going to be able to tack toward the center better than any other modern politician, just because very little of what he says makes sense or can be taken seriously.  What's a few more contradictory and confusing statements on top of what he's already said?

Yeah, I think he's going to tack like something super tacky. There's a decent chance it'll work too, IMO.

MadImmortalMan

Didn't she say once that women suffer the most in war because their husbands and sons get killed?

Boneheaded, yeah. Bigoted? Nah.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2016, 02:40:53 PM
Didn't she say once that women suffer the most in war because their husbands and sons get killed?

Boneheaded, yeah. Bigoted? Nah.

Well you cannot suffer once you are dead :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 02:27:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2016, 02:24:48 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 02, 2016, 02:19:32 PM
Trump has told us already what he would do. He would make America Great Again!

Oh, and have Mexico build a wall, that too.

He would also use words.  You wouldn't believe the words he would use.

They're gonna be the prettiest words anyone has ever used.  And you're gonna love them.

They will be Great words, the Best words.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

frunk

The Republicans have spent far too long demonizing Hillary.  There's no way the hardcore can vote for her no matter how bad the Republican nominee.

Habbaku

People like Spicy are how Trump will end up getting elected President.  They claim to have principles and ideals they back, but when pressed they will drop all pretense of that in order to stop the woman.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Hillary's just the greater of two weevils IMO, that's all.  There are several women I'd love to see in the White House.  Hillary just isn't one of them.  Why is that so hard for you guys to understand?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

We're well aware that when presented with the option between bad candidate A, third party candidate A, or fascist, you choose fascist.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 03:03:23 PM
Hillary's just the greater of two weevils IMO, that's all.  There are several women I'd love to see in the White House.  Hillary just isn't one of them.  Why is that so hard for you guys to understand?

I get it dude. People hate the Clintons. That fact makes me nervous about November.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Is there any Republican who ran for the nomination in the past twenty years who would not get your vote in a 1 v. 1 contest with Hillary?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2016, 03:06:51 PM

I get it dude. People hate the Clintons. That fact makes me nervous about November.

I've just encountered people saying that they are afraid of Hillary because honestly her foreign policy is a lot scarier than Trump's. I can't even. :lol: <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Does Trump have a policy? I mean, other than "bomb the hell out of everything".  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2016, 03:10:35 PM
Does Trump have a policy? I mean, other than "bomb the hell out of everything".  :P

He's strong on family murder.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

:huh:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/ben-carson-sees-no-path-forward-191755324.html

QuoteFollowing a poor performance on Super Tuesday, Ben Carson announced on Wednesday that he sees no "path forward" in the race for the Republican nomination and will not attend Thursday's Fox News GOP debate in his hometown of Detroit.

"I do not see a political path forward in light of last evening's Super Tuesday primary results," Carson said in a statement. "However, this grassroots movement on behalf of 'We the People' will continue. Along with millions of patriots who have supported my campaign for president, I remain committed to Saving America for Future Generations. We must not depart from our goals to restore what God and our Founders intended for this exceptional nation."

Carson said he will address his political future on Friday in a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference outside Washington, D.C.

The soft-spoken retired neurosurgeon, who actually led Donald Trump in the Republican race in early polls, finished a disappointing fourth or fifth in all 11 of Tuesday's GOP contests.

Carson's unlikely rise among the ranks of Republican hopefuls began in 2013 at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, where he criticized Obamacare with President Obama seated just a few feet away.

"What we need to do is come up with something simple," Carson said. "When a person is born, give him a birth certificate, an electronic medical record and a health savings account to which money can be contributed — pretax — from the time you're born till the time you die."

As recently as November, Carson was neck and neck with Trump in several states, including South Carolina.

But mounting questions surrounding the 64-year-old's colorful biography, coupled with an admitted lack of foreign policy chops and a series of controversial comments on the campaign trail, ultimately derailed Carson.

During the Iowa caucuses, Carson flew home to Florida for a "change of clothes" — a move that was interpreted by Texas Sen. Ted Cruz's rival GOP campaign as Carson pulling out of the race, and broadcast by Cruz's operatives.

Cruz subsequently apologized, but Carson and other Republican candidates accused the Texas senator — who won Iowa — of playing dirty.

"I'm not going to use this opportunity to savage the reputation of Sen. Cruz," Carson said days later during a Republican debate. "I will say I was disappointed that members of his team thought so little of me that they thought after having hundreds, if not thousands, of volunteers and college students who sacrificed their time and were dedicated to the cause — one even died — to think that I would just walk away 10 minutes before the caucus."

On Tuesday night in Baltimore, Carson told his supporters he was not quite ready to quit.

"As I've had an opportunity to study our system, it has become a little bit discouraging seeing all the relationships that exist there," he said. "It is rotten to the core on both sides, Democrats and Republicans. And they have weaved such a complex web, it will be very, very difficult to untangle it. But I'm not ready to quit trying to untangle it yet."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on March 02, 2016, 03:07:54 PM

Is there any Republican who ran for the nomination in the past twenty years who would not get your vote in a 1 v. 1 contest with Hillary?

Can't think of one, but if you have any wacky examples feel free to throw them at me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall