And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Ching-ching-a-chong-ching-a-chong-ching-chong 

Youa lika filed a lice

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on February 12, 2016, 02:01:47 AM
I will now vote for Sanders if Kasich does not get the nomination.

I thought you were one of the 1%.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

After watching last night's debate I'm inclined to vote for Trump.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Fate on February 12, 2016, 07:17:54 AM
After watching last night's debate I'm inclined to vote for Trump.

His best performance all year.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2016, 11:03:07 PM
I have no idea why Hillary felt the need to the wear a rain slicker to the debate.  And Sanders going on about Kissinger? :bleeding:

So now we know that Sanders has no problems talking with the mullahs that took American diplomats hostage, but it is beyond the pale to swap words with Henry Kissinger.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 12, 2016, 12:46:36 PM
I have no idea why Hillary felt the need to the wear a rain slicker to the debate.  And Sanders going on about Kissinger? :bleeding:

So now we know that Sanders has no problems talking with the mullahs that took American diplomats hostage, but it is beyond the pale to swap words with Henry Kissinger.

That probably gets him Euro support, whatever that's worth.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Maybe Sanders spits while he talks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2016, 11:52:51 AM
Gandalf doesn't die...

"Into the West" is a euphemism for death.  Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo, and the rest all die at the end of LOTR.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on February 12, 2016, 02:02:53 AM
Ching-ching-a-chong-ching-a-chong-ching-chong 

Youa lika filed a lice

Are you having a stroke?  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

New poll now out for South Carolina.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/politics/2016-02-12/new-sc-poll-shows-trump-heavy-favorite?v=1455274705

Trump- 36%
Cruz- 19%
Rubio- 15%
Bush- 11%
Kasich- 9%
Carson- 5%

Key takeaways:
- Trump remains favorite
- Huge drop for Carson in what should be a favorable environment for him; maybe should end campaign
- Another battle for second place.  Kasich is surprisingly competitive and now is gaining the name recognition and money to actually campaign in South Carolina.

Barrister

I'm going to call it now - Trump is going to be the nominee.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Can Trump pay the legions out of his own pocket?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 01:16:11 PM

He won't be the nominee. Look at that poll - in SC, the first state of the confederacy, he is at 36%. The Bush/Rubio/Kasich trifecta is at 35%. He has also been vastly disproportionate media coverage. Bush/Rubio/Kasich will consolidate and the media focus on Trump will dissipate as the race gets more mature.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2016, 01:24:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 01:16:11 PM

He won't be the nominee. Look at that poll - in SC, the first state of the confederacy, he is at 36%. The Bush/Rubio/Kasich trifecta is at 35%. He has also been vastly disproportionate media coverage. Bush/Rubio/Kasich will consolidate and the media focus on Trump will dissipate as the race gets more mature.

I see you left out Cruz, but no matter.

That's what everyone has been saying - except it hasn't happened.  There's been no consolidation of the "establishment" candidates, and since they're all polling at around the same rate there's no reason for any of them to pull out.  And while only a couple of states have voted now, within a couple of weeks we'll have the so-called "SEC primary with over a dozen.  At some point Trump just has too big a lead to catch.

I was also reading an article about Trump's NH results.  He does best with middle aged whites without college degrees, true - but he won every single demographic group in New Hampshire.  Young, old, educated, not educated - all voted for Trump in the 30s.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/the-surprising-breadth-of-donald-trumps-appeal/462327/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2016, 01:43:51 PM
I see you left out Cruz, but no matter.

That's what everyone has been saying - except it hasn't happened.  There's been no consolidation of the "establishment" candidates, and since they're all polling at around the same rate there's no reason for any of them to pull out.  And while only a couple of states have voted now, within a couple of weeks we'll have the so-called "SEC primary with over a dozen.  At some point Trump just has too big a lead to catch.

I was also reading an article about Trump's NH results.  He does best with middle aged whites without college degrees, true - but he won every single demographic group in New Hampshire.  Young, old, educated, not educated - all voted for Trump in the 30s.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/the-surprising-breadth-of-donald-trumps-appeal/462327/

There definitely has been consolidation. Look at all the "establishment" candidates that have dropped out: Christie, Fiorina, Walker, Perry, on and on. It is down to the final 3. One has no money - Kasich - one just blew an obscene fortune in New Hampshire to come in 4th and has been a national punch line - Bush - and one is some combination of the chosen one/a robot. All three are very vulnerable right now, and all three susceptible to pressure to get out of a battle they have lost. Whichever candidate comes in 5th in South Carolina may even drop out after that.

As I said before, I think it will probably end up a three way race between Trump, Cruz, and Bush/Rubio/Kasich. I don't see how Trump gets a majority of delegates in such a scenario, if he isn't on track to do so the party won't say "oh well close enough everyone else make way for trump" and if it comes down to the convention he is the least palatable candidate of the three and the biggest outlier.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014