News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2015, 01:01:25 PM
Read an article in The Atlantic that talked, among other things, about the rule of 14.  Apparently since around the turn of the century very few people (LBJ might be the sole exception) have been elected president more than 14 years after they were elected as governor, senator, or vice president.  The thinking is after that time they're too stale.

Hillary and J.E.B. both break the rule of 14.

The article was about the trend toward electing presidents with less and less experience in elected office.

Seems like a rather artificial limit.  Bush 41 yes was elected President 8 years after being elected Veep.  Buthe was first elected to Congress in '66 and had a long history on the national scene including being director of the CIA and UN Ambassador.

Reagan, yes, was elected President 14 years after being elected Governor of California.  But that also ignores his long history as an actor and spokesperson which also put him on the national stage.

And it just flat doesn't fit at all for Nixon: elected as Veep in '52, elected as President in '68 (and of course he was a prominent congressman before being Veep).

Yes, it does fit the last few Presidents: Clinton, GWB, Obama.  But as DG points out 3 data points isn't all that meaningful.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2015, 01:01:25 PM
Hillary and J.E.B. both break the rule of 14.

If J.E.B. had just followed the rules the South might not have lost at Gettysburg.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

QuoteThe Republican National Committee (RNC) announced Friday that it is suspending its relationship with NBC News following the third GOP presidential primary debate this week.

I wonder why? I guess they did not like how the last debate was handled for some reason?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2015, 02:39:44 PM
QuoteThe Republican National Committee (RNC) announced Friday that it is suspending its relationship with NBC News following the third GOP presidential primary debate this week.

I wonder why? I guess they did not like how the last debate was handled for some reason?

Should have just had a Team Fortress deathmatch against CNBC instead of a debate. Most kills wins.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2015, 02:39:44 PM

It's too bad there won't be a repeat.  The past debate has given the media the opportunity to give an in depth focus on the topic that they care most about; themselves.

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

I read that one of the questions to Trump was, "Are you running a clown campaign?" :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

How silly is America and Halloween?

Slutty Donald Trump costumes....

Valmy

It is shallow, stupid, juvenile, and so forth. The most American of Holidays really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Jim Webb's wife is Vietnamese and 22 years younger than him.

What an opportunity we missed.  ;)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2015, 10:34:28 PM

Nice fucking gap.

Party bus of 40 Transamerica employees pulled into my joint tonight, everyone dressed up.

Of the abundant advantages of Halloween, one often overlooked is that wearing a costume gives everyone an automatic conversational in.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2015, 10:35:30 PM
It is shallow, stupid, juvenile, and so forth. The most American of Holidays really.

Those are the reasons why it's becoming popular in Europe too.

DGuller

If Fred Thompson were a more energetic campaigner, he could've become the ninth president to die in office.  RIP.