2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 10:47:47 PM
The female Democrat thing has to be exit polling.

Doesn't have to be.  State has that info.  And you would have to jump through a bunch of mathematical hoops to get to "60,000 female Democrats have already voted" through exit polling.

Syt

I know several European countries have info blackouts near/around elections re: poll numbers, and certainly no exit polls during election day.

I suppose the idea is that releasing this info might affect the vote, prompting people who think their candidate is in a comfortable vote to not go, or mobilize people who otherwise would have stayed home to vote for the prospective loser.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 10:42:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 10:40:47 PM
Are the numbers of ballots being cast normal information to announce? Very odd.

I have vague recollections of numbers of early ballots cast being anounced in prior years, but I don't recall this level of specificity (i.e. female Democrats).

The female Democrat thing has to be exit polling.

No it doesn't.  States maintain that information on voter rolls and get it from voter registration; although I suppose some don't now that they require ID, which will have demo data.  When people vote early, their ballots are recorded as having been cast--hence, the lack of voter fraud bullshit, because these things are tracked.

For a bunch of political junkies and masters degree monkeys, didn't any of you ever actually work an election for a campaign? Canvassing? Doing the street work for voter turn-out?  It's all there in the rolls.  You got the printouts, you hit the streets and you make sure you get a commitment that Ms. Agnes Negrohater of 123 E. Main St, aged 57, registered Republican gets her Willie Horton-fearing ass to the polling place on election day macht schnell--and to victory!

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2016, 11:59:58 PM
Holy Shit... :o :o :o

If this is true and takes off in the media he might do worse than Cox and the GOP loses 100 seats in the House.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/24/inside-donald-trump-s-one-stop-parties-attendees-recall-cocaine-and-very-young-models.html

As I understand it, the Trump-raping-minors thing story is out there; it's a matter of it coming up in a way that gains any traction.

Syt

It's not going to matter to the Benghazi-Emails-Foundation crowd.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2016, 12:41:33 AM

r/the_donald has truly descended into abyssal chaos

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 25, 2016, 12:59:21 AM

What are the current highlights/ lowlights?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on October 25, 2016, 01:04:37 AM

What are the current highlights/ lowlights?

Just browse the front page. So many conspiracies, so much hate. Sad!

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2016, 11:05:02 PM
I know several European countries have info blackouts near/around elections re: poll numbers, and certainly no exit polls during election day.

I suppose the idea is that releasing this info might affect the vote, prompting people who think their candidate is in a comfortable vote to not go, or mobilize people who otherwise would have stayed home to vote for the prospective loser.

So it could bias elections in ways that no one is clear on?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Partisan get out the vote efforts on election day are strictly verboten under Spanish law. Given our lack of voter registries it would be extremely difficult to set them up effectively, anyway.

We also have information blackouts which look increasingly silly in this day and age. For example, polls are forbidden in the last week of campaign, yet pollsters publish them in non-Spanish websites that everyone can access.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2016, 11:05:02 PM

I believe it's the opposite effect, the winner's supporters are more motivated to go to the polls.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

That's 75% trolls and bots with a 25% real morons that believe all that shit.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point