News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yeah. But then they don't actually address the plebs - in my experience firms hire sportspeople for that. The politicians have lessons on leadership which is best delivered in private to the leaders of these companies :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2016, 04:26:42 PM
Yeah. But then they don't actually address the plebs - in my experience firms hire sportspeople for that. The politicians have lessons on leadership which is best delivered in private to the leaders of these companies :lol:

Where I work, they address the plebes (ie, me). I very rarely attend. I did attend when Henry Gates came--he was awesome. I went somewhat against my will to Condi Rice, who was not awesome but almost certainly got more money.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 04:12:45 PM
I think there are so many corrupting influences in politics it is nuts. There are book deals with up front payments that never sell anything, huge speaking fees from corporations (look at the list of who is getting paid the most on the private speaking circuit--almost always former politicians), future job opportunities (at companies being regulated, or even foreign governments, or international organizations). A private charity that can be used for personal perks and some element of patronage is another.

But Trump is 100% the wrong person to make the case against Clinton. By any reasonable standard he is dramatically worse than anything Clinton might be. There is every indication he is playing games to funnel money into his own pocket from his own presidential campaign. I think the guy would be worse on the corruption scale than Nixon.

Nixon was breaking the law to spy on political opponents,  but I don't recall him being material corrupt and embezzling money. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 04:12:45 PM
A private charity that can be used for personal perks and some element of patronage is another.

It's not a private charity, it is not used for personal perks, and hiring who you want to hire is not illegal or whatever it is that's supposed to be a problem.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2016, 01:39:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2016, 01:22:53 PM
"But the other side also did it" didn't work on the playground, and doesn't work here.

There's no evidence that Clinton did anything even remotely like what Smith is doing. It very much seems to be a case of "we know our guys are corrupt motherfuckers so we'll accuse Clinton of being corrupt too." Classic Rovian "use any flimsy pretext available to claim your opponent is doing what you're guilty of."
:yes: Also a time-tested Soviet/Russian tactic.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 04:22:44 PM
What is amazing to me is that there are retired and even some current business leaders on the private speaking circuit, but the ones getting the highest fees are political figures, and I never see anyone questioning that. If you are a private company, who do you think has more pertinent information to tell your employees to improve their productivity?

Yeah, it's all company rah-rah bullshit. Leadership retreats, yearly sales get-togethers, basic we-have-some-FY-cash-left-over corporate silliness. 
Be sure to attend this year's All Hands Meeting...this year's theme: "Excellence in Assburgers!" With guest speaker television personality Alan Thicke! AND a widescreen TV raffle!   

Here, fucking first page hit on Google--
Quotehttps://www.bigspeak.com/most-popular-speakers/

Sir Richard Branson
Founder and President, Virgin Group,
Global Entrepreneur, Adventurer and Philanthropist

Speaking Topics: 
Branding
Celebrity Speakers
Corporate Culture

Speaker's Fee Range: Please Inquire

But no....Crooked Hillary was being paid by all those big Wall Street firms to give them the step-by-step lowdown on how to backdoor the entire financial regulatory environment, despite their armies of lawyers and accountants in Manhattan and DC doing precisely that every day. 
Because the grandmother that can't comprehend the concept of a "wiped" hard drive is going to squeeze the nuts and bolts of Sarbanes Oxley loopholes inside 20 minutes, with a moderated Q & A session afterwards.  Refreshments will be provided.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Good to see Trump acting out again. Also nice that he, himself, is picking up the Clinton is sick line. Stuff of a healthy campaign.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2016, 07:14:53 PM
Good to see Trump acting out again. Also nice that he, himself, is picking up the Clinton is sick line. Stuff of a healthy campaign.

Just the Clinton is sick stuff, or did he say something else?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2016, 07:14:53 PM

Strength = Manliness!  Stamina = Virility!  Aimed right at the derspiess demographic.

Just another twist on his Kraft durch Freude! meme. Which is pretty funny, considering his fourth draft deferment to avoid Vietnam was for "bad feet".

Edit:  Fifth draft deferment.  He got four education deferments, one medical.

11B4V

Now see, this is why this country is divided. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 24, 2016, 07:38:36 PM
Now see, this is why this country is divided. :P

Save it for the big push at Kursk, Hansel.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive