News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Minsky provides a long-form definition of "special interests lobbying".  Next up: "Pork."

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2016, 02:17:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 1974, 02:38:17 PM
"But the other side also did it" didn't work on the playground, and doesn't work here.

In line with our recent bliblical discussions, it's more of a mote/beam comparison.

If you want to start comparing motes and beams...

Lamar Smith has raised $1.48 million in 2016.  The source of all those donations is all quite open and public:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?type=C&cid=N00001811&newMem=N&cycle=2016

The Clinton Foundation doesn't break down donations by year.  In fact they originally wouldn't identify their donors at all until pressured into doing so.  But it has raised approximately $2 billion dollars since 2001.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2016, 02:29:19 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2016, 02:17:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 1974, 02:38:17 PM
"But the other side also did it" didn't work on the playground, and doesn't work here.

In line with our recent bliblical discussions, it's more of a mote/beam comparison.

Lamar Smith has raised $1.48 million in 2016.  The source of all those donations is all quite open and public:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?type=C&cid=N00001811&newMem=N&cycle=2016

The Clinton Foundation doesn't break down donations by year.  In fact they originally wouldn't identify their donors at all until pressured into doing so.  But it has raised approximately $2 billion dollars since 2001.

Umm, the money went to him. Unless Clintons be skimming isn't that 2 billion off to charities?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I believe Trump is making that accusation.  He has also accused Obama of founding ISIS.  If the Clinton's are criminals, than they are probably the most effective criminals in the history of mankind.  Every accusation against them falls apart, and they have been accused of a lot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2016, 02:29:19 PM

These record the direct and leadership PAC donations.  But not necessarily the supercharged "independent expenditures" that are theoretically limitless and can be difficult to track. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2016, 02:53:25 PM
Every accusation against them falls apart, and they have been accused of a lot.

I know. Funny that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2016, 02:53:25 PM
I believe Trump is making that accusation.  He has also accused Obama of founding ISIS.  If the Clinton's are criminals, than they are probably the most effective criminals in the history of mankind.  Every accusation against them falls apart, and they have been accused of a lot.

Reminds me of this from Tim's 538 link.

QuoteLet's take a look at Clinton's candidate record: She cleared the Democratic field in her 2000 Senate race. Then Rudy Giuliani, citing health concerns, left the race after Clinton took a lead in the polls. Clinton then beat Rick Lazio by double digits. In 2006, Clinton won re-election by more than 35 percentage points. Then in 2008, she lost to perhaps the greatest politician of our era in Obama and actually got more votes than he did*. This year, Clinton cleared the Democratic field and now she leads Trump by a considerable margin in the key swing states. To me, she's either the luckiest politician since Chris Coons or she may actually be pretty damn good.

*or thereabouts given everyone seems to claim a different vote total.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2016, 02:24:57 PM
Minsky provides a long-form definition of "special interests lobbying".  Next up: "Pork."

Apparently necessary in light of "shocked, shocked" reaction to garden variety influence peddling in the thread.  As if we all forgot there is a legalized system of direct bribery already in place.  I.e sure someone could try to influence HC by contributing to her family's foundation.  But much more simple and direct to give money directly to her campaign!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2016, 02:58:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2016, 02:24:57 PM

Apparently necessary in light of "shocked, shocked" reaction to garden variety influence peddling in the thread.  As if we all forgot there is a legalized system of direct bribery already in place.  I.e sure someone could try to influence HC by contributing to her family's foundation.  But much more simple and direct to give money directly to her campaign!
Foreign states and leaders can donate to the Foundation though. But they're both wrong.

As I say it's similar to Blair, who in my view, has disgraced himself since he's left office and I would be very worried about, say, one of his children or Cherie trying to run for office now.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2016, 03:04:03 PM
Foreign states and leaders can donate to the Foundation though.

Foreign interest can contribute to US elections as well - just form a US subsidiary.  For example, UBS runs a multi-million dollar PAC in the US through that loophole.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Including states and foreign leaders?

As I say the example that worries me is somewhere like Kazakhstan which has donated generously to the Clinton and Blair Foundations and despite deteriorating human rights positions received pretty glowing praise from Tony and Bill for many of their policies - and in the case of Blair we know he's also offered informal advice. And as a retired 40 something people like Nazarbayev can offer you money for your causes and a 'platform' to continue to have influence.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2016, 04:04:41 PM
Including states and foreign leaders?

It could be done through a US sub of a state owned company.  That said no Russian and Chinese SOEs seem to be doing that.  Russia at least apparently has more effective ways of doing this.  :)
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

I think there are so many corrupting influences in politics it is nuts. There are book deals with up front payments that never sell anything, huge speaking fees from corporations (look at the list of who is getting paid the most on the private speaking circuit--almost always former politicians), future job opportunities (at companies being regulated, or even foreign governments, or international organizations). A private charity that can be used for personal perks and some element of patronage is another.

But Trump is 100% the wrong person to make the case against Clinton. By any reasonable standard he is dramatically worse than anything Clinton might be. There is every indication he is playing games to funnel money into his own pocket from his own presidential campaign. I think the guy would be worse on the corruption scale than Nixon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 04:12:45 PM
I think there are so many corrupting influences in politics it is nuts. There are book deals with up front payments that never sell anything, huge speaking fees from corporations (look at the list of who is getting paid the most on the private speaking circuit--almost always former politicians), future job opportunities (at companies being regulated, or even foreign governments, or international organizations). A private charity that can be used for personal perks and some element of patronage is another.
Yep. Just see our Trade Secretary who wrote a, by all accounts, rubbish book that sold 4k copies globally, but was, inexplicably, translated into Azeri for a high fee from a publication company owned by the President's daughter <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2016, 04:16:34 PM

Yep. Just see our Trade Secretary who wrote a, by all accounts, rubbish book that sold 4k copies globally, but was, inexplicably, translated into Azeri for a high fee from a publication company owned by the President's daughter <_<

What is amazing to me is that there are retired and even some current business leaders on the private speaking circuit, but the ones getting the highest fees are political figures, and I never see anyone questioning that. If you are a private company, who do you think has more pertinent information to tell your employees to improve their productivity?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014