News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Reminds me of Christian rock commercials.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2016, 07:13:00 PM
And it's Kaine.

Safe.  Sane.  Kaine.

Head and shoulders above that idiot Trump pick for his VP.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 22, 2016, 04:52:33 PM
In a normal election I'd say vote your conscience in all honesty, but this isn't a normal election.

In this election we have two major nominees: one a lifelong, self-serving politician, the other an authoritarian, de facto Putin-backed stooge. At least the self-serving pol isn't going to hand the nuclear codes over to the FSB (unless it's sent over a private email server :lol:). I don't plan on seeing the White House bulldozed and the Kremlin built over it so Hillary it is for me this time  :yucky:

Hopefully there will be a better choices in 2020.

73 year old hillary vs. Ted Cruz.

One (more) sad aspect of the nomination of Trump is the out of the mainstream right wing movement conservative/religious right that has been taking over the party didn't get their candidate. Trump actually did better in the open primaries than those limited to registered republicans. In general if a party nominated an extreme candidate you would think a crushing defeat would deter the party from doing so again, but in this case I don't think we will be so lucky--the elements most likely to get an extreme candidate on the republican side actually can claim they provided the best resistance against Trump (through Cruz). The republican party is broken. Not quite British Labour party level broken though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Apparently the Clinton people managed to get Kaine to reverse his position on TPP.

I find that very annoying.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on July 22, 2016, 05:54:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2016, 05:44:29 PMYour version of Trump is one that doesn't mean a single thing he says.

I thought that was obvious at this point.

But you are voting for the honest politician in this election?

This goes beyond honesty or dishonesty - you are banking on the belief that he is full of crap and will not follow through on what he says.  Nothing in his past or present suggests that.  He says he will play hardball and negotiate haircuts on treasury bonds with creditors.  What reason is there to think he won't do exactly that? It's what he has done his entire life and its not realistic that at age 70 he is suddenly going to become an expert in public finance and the international monetary system.  The wacko stuff about NATO that everyone is freaking out about is the same kind of nonsense he's said for decades.

Yes there are checks but the President has the authority to run foreign policy, to manage defense commitments, to manage the debt. etc. Is there anything about this man to suggest he wll be modest in the assertion of his powers?

You are fooling yourself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Hillary choose the VP option with the best name, things are looking up.  :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Kaine could become President in 2021 or earlier.  We should all be satisfied with that possibility.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2016, 07:01:03 PM
You got Krauts...Romans...even an Injun...but you notice there are no Confederate troops in that painting?

They have a Nazi/ Wehrmacht dude, so close enough.

Jacob

Exciting new rumours: significant parts of Trump's debts are held by Putin or his associates. It's just rumour at this point, but it certainly would be something.

If it turns out to be true, between this and Putin's funding of various rightist groups in Europe, it would appear that Putin is putting serious effort into destabilizing the West.

viper37

Do you think it would matter to the average Trump supporter? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Well, he looks like a nice guy. A really nice guy.

Not so interesting as to overshadow Clinton and he looks dependable and will certainly be a real help with the household chores.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.