And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on June 06, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2016, 10:45:23 AM

Sounds like it.  And the job is at campaign HQ in Brooklyn, so I imagine one way or the other it goes away after November.  If Trump wins, then I guess I'm getting deported to Mexico.

So it is a short-term 6 month contract?  How is that even remotely attractive?  Unless the pay is really, really good.

Once you work on one campaign, even if it's not successful, you have in an in with the party and it's easy to get work on subequent campaigns. And there is always a campaign going, or being prepared for.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2016, 12:41:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 06, 2016, 12:37:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2016, 12:34:23 PM
There needs to be a "Choose one" vote. People will always vote for the status quo if that is an option, and the current disaster makes it pretty clear that status quo should not be an option.

Full statehood, or independence. Take your pick.

I didn't recall it but the two step vote in 2012 actually showed Puerto Rico wanting to become a state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012

The first question muddies the water. It is hard to tell if a majority actually wanted statehood. We know 54% wanted to end territory status, but doubtful that means over 50% wanted to both end territory status AND become a state.

Barely any support for independence though. Probably even less so now.
Would they be able to declare bankruptcy if they were a state?

What other resources would they have access to deal with their fiscal problem?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Wonder what it would take for them to break with him completely. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/06/trump_gonzalo_curiel_attacks_condemned_widely_by_republicans.html

Paul Ryan:

"Look, the comment about the judge, just was out of left field for my mind," Ryan said Friday on WISN in Milwaukee. "It's reasoning I don't relate to, I completely disagree with the thinking behind that."

Mitch McConnell:

"I don't agree with what he had to say," McConnell said of Trump.

"This is a man who was born in Indiana," he said of Curiel. "All of us came here from somewhere else. Almost all Americans are either near-term immigrants like my wife, who came here at age 8 not speaking a word of English, or the rest of us whose ancestors were risk-takers who came here and made this country great. That's an important part of what makes America work."

Even Newt Gingrich, the most enthusiastic Trump apologist of all:

"This is one of the worst mistakes Trump has made, and I think it's inexcusable," said Gingrich. He added: "If a liberal were to attack Justice Clarence Thomas on the grounds that he's black, we would all go crazy."

John Kasich, who has never been a Trump fan but has been pretty quiet since dropping out of the presidential race, jumped back into the national conversation to denounce Trump's remarks:

Attacking judges based on their race &/or religion is another tactic that divides our country. More importantly, it is flat out wrong.(1of2)

Rick Wilson, a GOP operative who's also a longtime Trump skeptic, is urging down-ballot Republican candidates to break with Trump publicly:

Run as yourself. Run with some passion and iconoclastic fire. Stop trying to run a generic, please-the-base campaign where your political lanes are bounded. Run as a Florida Republican or a Colorado Republican or a Nevada Republican and separate your brand from Trump's.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 06, 2016, 07:46:49 PM
Wonder what it would take for them to break with him completely. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/06/trump_gonzalo_curiel_attacks_condemned_widely_by_republicans.html

Paul Ryan:

"Look, the comment about the judge, just was out of left field for my mind," Ryan said Friday on WISN in Milwaukee. "It's reasoning I don't relate to, I completely disagree with the thinking behind that."

Mitch McConnell:

"I don't agree with what he had to say," McConnell said of Trump.

"This is a man who was born in Indiana," he said of Curiel. "All of us came here from somewhere else. Almost all Americans are either near-term immigrants like my wife, who came here at age 8 not speaking a word of English, or the rest of us whose ancestors were risk-takers who came here and made this country great. That's an important part of what makes America work."

Even Newt Gingrich, the most enthusiastic Trump apologist of all:

"This is one of the worst mistakes Trump has made, and I think it's inexcusable," said Gingrich. He added: "If a liberal were to attack Justice Clarence Thomas on the grounds that he's black, we would all go crazy."

John Kasich, who has never been a Trump fan but has been pretty quiet since dropping out of the presidential race, jumped back into the national conversation to denounce Trump's remarks:

Attacking judges based on their race &/or religion is another tactic that divides our country. More importantly, it is flat out wrong.(1of2)

Rick Wilson, a GOP operative who's also a longtime Trump skeptic, is urging down-ballot Republican candidates to break with Trump publicly:

Run as yourself. Run with some passion and iconoclastic fire. Stop trying to run a generic, please-the-base campaign where your political lanes are bounded. Run as a Florida Republican or a Colorado Republican or a Nevada Republican and separate your brand from Trump's.

What would make YOU abandon him?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Phillip V

Media Declares Clinton the Democratic Nominee Tonight  (Tells Californian Sanders Voters To Go Fuck Themselves Tomorrow)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/us/politics/hillary-clinton-presidential-race.html

Jaron

Hey Zoupa,

Go F yourself!

PS: Can I move in with you if Trump wins? :P

Zoupa

Martinus

Martinus

For full disclosure, Clinton later (after apparently being called out on it) twitted: "72 years after #DDay, let's not just eulogize the brave men who gave their lives. Let's honor them by defending the values they fought for."

Bernie did not make a single tweet about the DDay anniversary.

Jaron

I'm sure you meant to incite some kind of kind and sensitive person outrage but...

Trump tweeted his D-day tweet at 9:29 AM. Clinton tweeted about D-Day at 11:38 am.

Clinton tweeted about Ramadan at 4:35 pm on 6/5.

We really going to throw a hissy over 2 hours?

Martinus

That was mostly meant to be anti-Bernie. Clinton just gets negative points for making such an elaborate tweet about Ramadan. I wonder if she did the same about the start of Lent or Advent - care to check it for me?

Savonarola

Actual News Story:  Dogs destroy boy's beloved Trump hat

Si Trump n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Well today is the day. Last big primary day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2016, 07:59:48 AM
Well today is the day. Last big primary day.

Well it is the last day but unless he is decisively put down, sounds like Bernie is still going to be annoying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.