News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Air Force Scramjet test is a complete success!

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 09:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That would be a 155 minute flight from Boston to Seoul! :mmm:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/u-military-scramjet-breaks-hypersonic-speed-record-213138420.html

QuoteU.S. Military 'scramjet' breaks hypersonic speed record
By Scott Sutherland | Geekquinox – Sat, 4 May, 2013

The Boeing X-51A 'Waverider'The Boeing X-51A, an experimental 'scramjet' missile for the U.S. Military, broke hypersonic speed records this week as it flew at Mach 5.1 for three and a half minutes.

The X-51A is nicknamed The Waverider, due to riding the shockwave of compressed air that it creates as it flies. Its scramjet engine is similar to a jet engine, but it can work at much high altitudes and much faster speeds. Jet engines are limited by altitude and speed because the air gets too thin and it's moving too quickly to properly ignite it. However, the scramjet is able to both slow the air down and compress it, so that it can concentrate and ignite the oxygen in the air, but then still force the air out the back of the engine at hypersonic speeds.

The X-51A test took place on May 1, when the Waverider took just over six minutes to fly 230 nautical miles (425 kilometres), reaching speeds of over five times the speed of sound.

Although this test was conducted by the Military, it apparently wasn't to test for a new weapon, but as a general test of the technology for future applications.

"This demonstration of a practical hypersonic scramjet engine is a historic achievement that has been years in the making," said Darryl Davis, president of Boeing Phantom Works, according to Reuters. "This test proves the technology has matured to the point that it opens the door to practical applications, such as advanced defense systems and more cost-effective access to space."

The staff at Boeing are looking into its potential for commercial air travel, calling it the 'warp speed of today'.

The first test of the Waverider, back in May 2010, saw the vehicle reaching a speed of Mach 5.0 for 143 seconds. The two tests after that were less successful, with the test last August ending in failure, apparently due to a fault in one of its control fins. However, this week's test was seen as a complete success.

"It was a full mission success," said Charlie Brink, the U.S. Air Force's X-51A Program Manager. "All we have learned from the X-51A Waverider will serve as the bedrock for future hypersonics research and ultimately the practical application of hypersonic flight."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

QuoteMach 5.0 for 143 seconds.

That's a lot of rape.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

The real question is how much fuel was consumed, and the engine efficiency.

PDH

No the real question is:  Who fucking cares?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2013, 09:42:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2013, 09:35:11 PM
Why would this ever be used commercially?
If it's possible, why not?
Because it's not economically viable.  And even for the military, it doesn't really serve much purpose.  The days where we needed jet fighters to go really fast are long behind us.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

Yeah, we've circled back around to biplanes.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2013, 09:27:25 PM

For wealthy businessmen.
For you and me it would still be 12 hours squeezed into a tiny seat on a regular plane :(
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2013, 02:07:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2013, 09:27:25 PM
For wealthy businessmen.
For you and me it would still be 12 hours squeezed into a tiny seat on a regular plane :(
No.  Telecommunications has made it ridiculous to spend that kind of money.

Brazen

'cos there has been SO much interest in commercial supersonic aircraft since Concorde went boom. That's 40-year-old technology now.

Flying to New York in 3.5 hours is now consigned to the "will never do" pile, along with eating up the Post Office Tower revolving restaurant, curse you IRA!

Razgovory

Quote from: Brazen on May 07, 2013, 08:44:03 AM
'cos there has been SO much interest in commercial supersonic aircraft since Concorde went boom. That's 40-year-old technology now.

Flying to New York in 3.5 hours is now consigned to the "will never do" pile, along with eating up the Post Office Tower revolving restaurant, curse you IRA!

Tim has always baffled me with the way he doesn't understand the economics of technology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2013, 10:35:23 PM
And even for the military, it doesn't really serve much purpose.  The days where we needed jet fighters to go really fast are long behind us.

Not entirely. Hypersonic craft might be a tad hard to intercept and be able to carry out more missions in the same amount of time, allowing to cut down on procurement, maintenance and training. In addition, they could end the need to maintain expensive, vulnerable and politically inconvenient bases all over the world.

Neil

Nobody really intercepts anymore.  And you will run into fuel issues if you try and cut back on basing.