Hudson Valley Foie Gras Website Hacked, Buyers Names Made Public

Started by garbon, April 26, 2013, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/04/hudson-valley-foie-gras-website-hacked.html

QuoteIf you thought publishing the names and phone numbers of restaurant no-shows was bad, animal-rights activists have now hacked the website of Hudson Valley Foie Gras, a leading U.S. supplier, and published customers' names and email addresses. The list is mostly California-based clients, due to the statewide foie gras ban, and includes chefs, home cooks and more. According to the OC Register, one Laguna Beach chef, Amar Santana of Broadway by Amar Santana, has been getting harassing calls since the info went public. "We are talking about ducks," Santana told the Reg. "They are raised to be eaten. It is illegal to sell it or whatever, but you are telling me it is OK to blast personal information like that online? That is more illegal than anything else."

North American Animal Liberation is one of two groups that published the list from an "anonymous" tipster who said they "took down" Hudson Valley's website and online store and uncovered the names and personal info of more than 1,200 customers who purchased products between June 2012 and April 2013. So they made it all public - just because. Ken Frank of Napa Valley's Le Toque weighed in: "The activists are a shame on our great nation where we should respect each other's right to choose what we eat, who we marry, what we read and what we say, without fear of intimidation or reprisal." The chef, who is against the California ban, was not named on the list.

Apart from the possibility of being harassed by these nuts (/having private contact info sent out) - not really sure why these "activists" thought this would be productive. In the general public, there isn't really a culture of shaming Foie Gras eaters is there?  So not exactly the same as outing a list of a madam's clients.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

I tried it once and didn't like it. That was before I found out it was made by torturing geese.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

A list of those who embrace a wonderful culture :wub: :frog:

But yeah I have never gotten shit for enjoying Foie Gras.  Hardly anybody knows what it is anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Oh, yeah, I meant to say "right on," because I respect no rights of those who disagree with me and secretly wish them to be brought into line by the harshest methods, because deep down I'm a totalitarian who just keeps looking for love in all the wrong places.

Also, fuck Martinus, and Shaun, and Gay Fox, and Porkchop Pete, and Valmy.  Jesus hates you. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2013, 09:53:06 AM
I tried it once and didn't like it. That was before I found out it was made by torturing geese.

Maybe you didn't eat the right one (I was treated to normal goose liver once or twice while the menu said it's foie gras). True foie gras is so dense, it has the consistency of cold butter. It's delicious.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2013, 02:43:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2013, 09:53:06 AM

Maybe you didn't eat the right one (I was treated to normal goose liver once or twice while the menu said it's foie gras). True foie gras is so dense, it has the consistency of cold butter. It's delicious.

Don't think so. I did have 18 english upper class toffs with me who all vouchsafed it as "good quality" and "best in toulouse".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on April 27, 2013, 02:33:55 AM
Oh, yeah, I meant to say "right on," because I respect no rights of those who disagree with me and secretly wish them to be brought into line by the harshest methods, because deep down I'm a totalitarian who just keeps looking for love in all the wrong places.

Also, fuck Martinus, and Shaun, and Gay Fox, and Porkchop Pete, and Valmy.  Jesus hates you. :P
i'm special! :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"