Newspaper reporter ranked worst job in the U.S.

Started by Josephus, April 24, 2013, 08:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2013, 04:29:16 PM
I, on the other hand, drive myself batshit fucking nuts if I have too much time to think on a job.  Worse thing ever for me was being a security guard with nothing to do.  Boring, and still trapped in my head.

Well, I would say that sitting in a booth or something is not as ideal as doing some physical labor in terms of thinking. The manual labor gets your endorphins going, so the things you're likely to think about are going to be better on average.
and the horse you rode in on

HVC

Guess they missed that whole meek shall inherit the earth and give away your worldly possessions part of Jesus' spiel 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

fhdz

Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2013, 12:54:16 PM
Guess they missed that whole meek shall inherit the earth and give away your worldly possessions part of Jesus' spiel

:D Along with every other well-established "mainstream" Christian church.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Well, no-one but a few odd recluses actually believes any of that stuff. You want a multi-billion dollar enterprise run by an odd recluse? Get Howard Hughes.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on April 25, 2013, 11:36:36 AM
Funny, but normal.

My small hometown Episcopal priest's salary is probably approaching $150,000 by now. And then the perks of living freely in a large historical house on top of the town's center, pension, "discretionary fund", etc.

And at black churches (any denomination-- as long as the church has "Ebenezer" in its name) you get to live like a straight up playa-- until you get caught.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 01:03:23 PM
Funny, but normal.

My small hometown Episcopal priest's salary is probably approaching $150,000 by now. And then the perks of living freely in a large historical house on top of the town's center, pension, "discretionary fund", etc.

And at black churches (any denomination-- as long as the church has "Ebenezer" in its name) you get to live like a straight up playa-- until you get caught.
Definitely. And that's the case with any big megachurches that spawn all sorts of side commercial revenue streams. At least with denominations like the Episcopal Church, Catholic Church, etc. you actually have to go through years of serious Master of Divinity study and seminary involving ancient Greek/Hebrew study.

These "new" and non-denominational churches usually have no experience or education requirements for their "preachers". It's all about personality and "feelings".

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on April 25, 2013, 01:12:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2013, 01:03:23 PM
Funny, but normal.

Definitely. And that's the case with any big megachurches that spawn all sorts of side commercial revenue streams. At least with denominations like the Episcopal Church, Catholic Church, etc. you actually have to go through years of serious Master of Divinity study and seminary involving ancient Greek/Hebrew study.

Methodist, Lutheran and even some Baptist churches have some pretty rigid requirements as well.

QuoteThese "new" and non-denominational churches usually have no experience or education requirements for their "preachers". It's all about personality and "feelings".

Yep.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: fahdiz on April 25, 2013, 12:56:14 PM

at least the other ones (well catholic really :P ) hide it by giving the "church" the wealth and not the priests.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on April 25, 2013, 12:58:30 PM

Well, no-one but a few odd recluses actually believes any of that stuff. You want a multi-billion dollar enterprise run by an odd recluse? Get Howard Hughes.  ;)
a lawyer who only gives credence to wealth? Shocking :o

:P

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2013, 01:35:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 25, 2013, 12:58:30 PM

a lawyer who only gives credence to wealth? Shocking :o

:P

They should just cease the charade and replace all religious figures with lawyers. Give Ide a shot at a decent job, it would. 

Can't replace 'em with accountants, that would be gratuitously cruel to the congregations - just imagine an accountant giving a sermon.  The boredom! :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

I have to listen to a 2 hour "sermon" tonight. I agree yes, that would be tedious :P

Although, a religion based around lawyers would mean that heaven is full of layers. So on essence: two hells :D

Josephus

Quote from: fahdiz on April 25, 2013, 12:56:14 PM

not so true with mainstream Catholic priests and especially the various Catholic monastic orders.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011