And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote"Being losers, hatred to those who were able to settle themselves

:pinch:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

QuoteTsarni said one of the suspects was born in Kyrgyzstan and that his brother's family moved to the Boston area in 2003, receiving asylum in the United States. He said the suspects "put a shame" on his family and "the entire ethnicity."

Not to mention, bringing shame to the good name of Tamerlane.  :hmm:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I'm disappointed the Uncle didn't conclude by saying "What a country!  yuk yuk yuk" :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 19, 2013, 02:38:41 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 02:29:09 PM
They don't seem like fundy islamists, and they don't seem like marginalized nutjobs.

That is a real problem isnt it.  People within the US/North America becoming radicalized and not having to go overseas for that to happen.

The problem is that, on the information so far, we have no idea in what way they were radicalized. Did they kill out of identity with Islamic nutjobs, or social alienation, or are they just psychopaths, or what? We have no real clue.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 19, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
The problem is that, on the information so far, we have no idea in what way they were radicalized. Did they kill out of identity with Islamic nutjobs, or social alienation, or are they just psychopaths, or what? We have no real clue.

Yup, could be anything right now.  Hell, could be student loans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2013, 12:00:35 PM
Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau on the Boston bombing:
<snip>

Not ready for prime time.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 03:09:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 19, 2013, 03:07:50 PM

Yup, could be anything right now.  Hell, could be student loans.

Aha, the "Ide option".  :hmm:

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2013, 12:00:35 PM
Liberal Party leader Justin Trudeau on the Boston bombing:

QuotePETER MANSBRIDGE:
Let me try to ask this as fairly as I can, because it's only a couple of hours after something has happened that clearly was not an accident, in Boston. People have died, many people are injured. You're the Canadian prime minister, what do you do?

JUSTIN TRUDEAU (LEADER OF THE LIBERAL PARTY OF CANADA):
First thing, you offer support and sympathy and condolences and, you know, can we send down, you know, EMTs or, I mean, as we contributed after 9/11? I mean, is there any material immediate support we have we can offer?

And then at the same time, you know, over the coming days, we have to look at the root causes. Now we don't know now whether it was, you know, terrorism or a single crazy or, you know, a domestic issue or a foreign issue, I mean, all of those questions. But there is no question that this happened because there is someone who feels completely excluded, completely at war with innocents, at war with a society.

And our approach has to be, okay, where do those tensions come from? I mean, yes, we need to make sure that we're promoting security and we're, you know, keeping our borders safe and, you know, monitoring the kinds of, you know, violent subgroups that happen around. But we also have to monitor and encourage people to not point fingers at each other and lay blame for personal ills or societal ills on a specific group, whether it be the West or the government or Bostonians or whatever it is, because it's that idea of dividing humans against ourselves, of pointing out that they're not like us and, you know, in order to achieve our political goals we can kill innocents here.

That's something that no society in the world that is healthy, regardless of ideology, will accept.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/19/justin-trudeau-comments-on-the-boston-bombing.html

:weep:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Well, that was certainly sweet of him to say.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Otto, how the hell could you lump Cracker Barrel & Denny's together?

Of course, I've gotta dissent since CB is the only one of that group that (at least to me) isn't like ingesting straight castor oil. :hmm:

No experience with Belgian Hut.
Experience bij!