Republicans approve resolution reaffirming opposition to gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 13, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2013, 01:05:13 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 13, 2013, 03:07:09 PM
What a bunch of dipshits.

Nah I think they are remarkable in their suicidal tendencies.  :lol:

Eh, it's not like they're talking about getting rid of social security.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Well, at least you gotta admire them for sticking to their guns rather than doing the moral and politically smart thing and following every sane person in the world by mellowing out on the homophobia.

I mean seriously. If the republicans stop ranting about hating gay people then what are the idiotic segments of the population to do. Suddenly vote for the far more gay friendly democrats?
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

11B has a point. Roe v Wade was forty years ago, but people still won't shut the hell up about abortion. These things take time to flush through the back end of society.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2013, 05:28:41 AM
11B has a point. Roe v Wade was forty years ago, but people still won't shut the hell up about abortion. These things take time to flush through the back end of society.

Apples and oranges.

Abortion will always be a moral issue - because no matter how you slice it, it's a legitimate ethical question that has no single "right" answer. Gay marriage, on the other hand, is like segregation, mixed marriage or universal suffrage - it's one of those issues that once it gets done, people forget about it and move on.

Yes, in forty years from now, there will be a group of people that do not like gays, just like there is a group of people who do not like blacks, or disrespect women - but in 10 years from now no reasonable politician would suggest reversing gay marriage - but 100 years from now people will still argue in favor of banning abortion.

Razgovory

You never have been able to understand another person's point of view, have you Mart?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Look, gays are bad, OK.  You people are on the same forum as Martinus.  HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THIS?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2013, 08:11:48 AM
Look, gays are bad, OK.  You people are on the same forum as Martinus.  HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THIS?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Because Marti's failings have little to do with being gay.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2013, 05:32:06 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2013, 05:28:41 AM

Apples and oranges.

Abortion will always be a moral issue - because no matter how you slice it, it's a legitimate ethical question that has no single "right" answer. Gay marriage, on the other hand, is like segregation, mixed marriage or universal suffrage - it's one of those issues that once it gets done, people forget about it and move on.

Yes, in forty years from now, there will be a group of people that do not like gays, just like there is a group of people who do not like blacks, or disrespect women - but in 10 years from now no reasonable politician would suggest reversing gay marriage - but 100 years from now people will still argue in favor of banning abortion.

Until we can permanently fix homosexuality, of course.

Admiral Yi

Marty's right. 

However, I think gay adoption will continue to be an issue for a long time.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 14, 2013, 10:52:55 AM

Not really sure why we'd need too. Not like we have too few humans running around.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2013, 01:35:12 PM

Not really sure why we'd need too. Not like we have too few humans running around.

No, but we have too many Martinus's.

PDH

The solution is simple.  Support the rights, but hate Marti (and wish to ban everything for him only).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Williams-Sonoma stock will plummet.  Can't have that.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2013, 01:11:25 AM
Well, at least you gotta admire them for sticking to their guns rather than doing the moral and politically smart thing and following every sane person in the world by mellowing out on the homophobia.

They are sticking to their guns because they have to, they have a powerful social conservative political faction to answer for.  There is nothing admirable about it, they will dump the social conservatives if it becomes advantageous and practicable to do so....which it will as they become more marginalized.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on April 14, 2013, 01:54:53 PM
The solution is simple.  Support the rights, but hate Marti (and wish to ban everything for him only).

I knew my anti mart but pro gay policy would catch on.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive