And we're back!

Main Menu

Roger Ebert RIP

Started by Queequeg, April 04, 2013, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Really sweet obituary from the Onion:

QuoteRoger Ebert Hails Human Existence As 'A Triumph'

CHICAGO—Calling the overall human experience "poignant," "thought-provoking," and a "complete tour de force," film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as "an audacious and thrilling triumph." "While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind," said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes "a mess in places," it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. "At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven't experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed." Ebert later said that while human existence's running time was "a little on the long side," it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on April 04, 2013, 11:45:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2013, 10:31:24 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 04, 2013, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: Drakken on April 04, 2013, 09:23:00 PM
My jaw just dropped at the news. :(
Fucking prick.

Yeah you are. It's clear it was an honest mistake on his part.

It wasn't. I assume my low-brow joke. Too soon, I see now.

That said, I was indeed genuinely surprised - and saddened - learning his death.

Oh you, jerk. Sorry, MP
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?

garbon

I was reading where they had some of his top scathing reviews:

QuoteThe Village

"To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets."

So true. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

We should've invited him to Languish when we had the chance.  :(

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 01:20:50 PM
I was reading where they had some of his top scathing reviews:

QuoteThe Village

"To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore. And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets."

So true. :)
:lmfao:

I must have missed that review because I would have remembered that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Cinema Snob honors Ebert by reviewing the Russ Meyer film "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" for which Ebert wrote the screenplay:

http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/beyond-the-valley-of-the-dolls-by-the-cinema-snob-6568041
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Drakken

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2013, 12:11:09 PM
Cinema Snob honors Ebert by reviewing the Russ Meyer film "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" for which Ebert wrote the screenplay:

http://blip.tv/the-cinema-snob/beyond-the-valley-of-the-dolls-by-the-cinema-snob-6568041

Wow, I thought was another run-of-the-mill late 60s Russ Meyer softcore with barely any tits B-movie, but I didn't expect it to be a good movie to watch. Call me intrigued.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2013, 12:11:09 PM

Great movie that I enjoyed watching at the Cinémathèque.
RIP.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2013, 12:02:59 AM
Really sweet obituary from the Onion:

QuoteRoger Ebert Hails Human Existence As 'A Triumph'

CHICAGO—Calling the overall human experience "poignant," "thought-provoking," and a "complete tour de force," film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as "an audacious and thrilling triumph." "While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind," said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes "a mess in places," it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. "At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven't experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed." Ebert later said that while human existence's running time was "a little on the long side," it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.

They completely missed Ebert's reviewing style.