Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2017, 10:24:59 PM
Quote from: dps on April 29, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
The only way we don't have the capability to take out a bunch of targets that size lined up out in the open like that is if we don't have any warplanes at all in South Korea.  And I'm reasonably sure that the 7th Air Force does, in fact, have some warplanes.

Stop playing so many fucking video games.

Not really basing it on video games;  I'm basing it on old footage of the Japs blowing up PBYs and P-40s on the ground during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Of course, Berkut is right;  in the event of an actual war, they wouldn't leave them lined up without any cover.  Probably.

Berkut

In the modern world, if we can see it, we can kill it.

It is pretty much that simple.

A conventional war with NK will not be nearly as interesting as 1950. But likely vastly more devastating in its opening days. Kim cannot pose a credible conventional threat, and everyone knows it. He is reduced to simply playing the only card he has - he will kill a huge number of civilians if he must.

Ironically, I would actually be in favor of taking a MUCH harder line with NK than what Obama was willing to do, so the basic idea behind Trump's brinkmanship is defensible. Of course, he isn't doing it in any considered or reasoned manner. He is just flailing about because it is an obvious and relatively simple enemy from the standpoint of posturing. Kim is an easy villain for Trump to puff about.

This will not end well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

We have only so many air assets in theater, people.

It took months to ramp up the air campaign for Gulf War 1, and that was a month of turkey shoots in open desert flying 3 or 4 sorties a day.  And we still didn't get all the SCUDs.

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2017, 11:35:19 PM

It took months to ramp up the air campaign for Gulf War 1, and that was a month of turkey shoots in open desert flying 3 or 4 sorties a day.  And we still didn't get all the SCUDs.

We didn't need to "get all the scuds" though. They were militarily irrelevant.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on April 29, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2017, 09:59:54 PM
You guys have a substantially inflated sense of our capabilities at this time on the Korean peninsula.

The only way we don't have the capability to take out a bunch of targets that size lined up out in the open like that is if we don't have any warplanes at all in South Korea.  And I'm reasonably sure that the 7th Air Force does, in fact, have some warplanes.

Also, the ROK has a rather capable air force as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 29, 2017, 11:44:17 PM

Not to the Israelis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

They may be militarily irrelevant  but when they can hit every city in South Korea with VX it makes taking them out rather important 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

Seedy is right about overstating OUR capabilities on the peninsula, but remember the ROK has a 650,000 man military with a $35bn budget. That military is heavily up to date with all the most modern American technology and training. The reality is yes, the North can and almost certainly would impose a devastating civilian cost in the early days of the war, but it's not shooting fish in barrels. The ROK counter barrage will be vast and sustained basically indefinitely, because the US heavily tips the scales. While we don't have nearly the forces in theater that we should have if we were planning to invade North Korea, our naval and ground based aerial forces are going to be hitting North Korea everywhere--most importantly focusing on Pyongyang and key leadership facilities.

The days where we believed in a war North Korea would "rush to Seoul" and capture it as the first move are largely over. I really do believe NK's conventional military would be incapable of sustaining anything beyond holding the line after the first few days. The big question mark for NK is also that Dear Leader's control is based on his personal control of the military. In a real war he basically is going to have to go into hiding very quickly, and the chaos of the war will likely sever lots of communication links. So a large portion of North Korea's military will be operating autonomously and Kim will be in the weakest position he's ever been in terms of domestic control.

Now what happens there I don't know, but I'd wager Kim doesn't know either, and would prefer not to find out.

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2017, 02:38:40 AM

They may be militarily irrelevant  but when they can hit every city in South Korea with VX it makes taking them out rather important 

Of course it is important, that wasn't my point.

The point is that the best they can do is to hope to kill a huge number of people. I think I said that already.

That is bad of course, but won't change the outcome of the war.

0 rows returned

11B4V

That is bad of course, but won't change the outcome of the war.

Yip

I would think even Ghina would not back NK if they VX'd a major population center.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!