Started by Martinus, March 21, 2013, 04:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2013, 06:53:04 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2013, 05:12:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2013, 04:47:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2013, 04:18:44 AM
it is, actually:

I know you are new to the West and all that, but do you really buy that?

don't tell me you dont see the similarities between the "oh we are sinners" culture of Earth Hour and other similar shit, and good old Christian "oh we are sinners" shit?

No, not really.  At least not any more then any other idea which views certain acts as positive and other acts as negative.

well, your loss I guess

Razgovory

Do you regard the strict adherence to free market principles, so called "free market fundamentalism", similar to religion?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

I think we have this thread every year with predictable results.

In any event if earth hour coincides with a NCAA game the electrical use in my house will continue unabated.

Admiral Yi

Anything can be treated like a religion when beliefs are based on faith instead of proofs.

There's nothing intrinsic to the opinion that a free market delivers superior outcomes that makes it like a religion.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 02:54:02 PM
Anything can be treated like a religion when beliefs are based on faith instead of proofs.

There's nothing intrinsic to the opinion that a free market delivers superior outcomes that makes it like a religion.

Thats nice but it has nothing to do with the NCAA tournament.

Razgovory

I dunno, the Austrian school seems to eschew mathematical models and empirical testing.  This rejection of scientific means seems similar to religion.

However, the point of calling environmental ideas a "religion" is a way for people to rationalize the rejection of scientific studies.  Ideologies such as libertarianism is badly undermined by things like climate change.  So labeling such it "luddism", or "religious fundamentalism", helps a person ignore information that is damaging to their ideology and still feel rational.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2013, 03:14:19 PM
I dunno, the Austrian school seems to eschew mathematical models and empirical testing.  This rejection of scientific means seems similar to religion.

Economics that relies on historical comparison rather than data analysis is not limited to the Austrian school.  Keynes was not a model builder and tester, neither was John Kenneth Galbraith.

QuoteHowever, the point of calling environmental ideas a "religion" is a way for people to rationalize the rejection of scientific studies.  Ideologies such as libertarianism is badly undermined by things like climate change.  So labeling such it "luddism", or "religious fundamentalism", helps a person ignore information that is damaging to their ideology and still feel rational.

That is one possible motivation, out of many,  for a person to label environmentalism a religion.  I label certain environmentalists religious when they are more concerned about the means than they are about the ends--for example if they oppose offsets or sinks or the like because it's not pure and esthetic enough.

Totally no clue what you mean by libertarianism being undermined by climate change.  Because it's an externalilty?

mongers

However, the point of calling environmental ideas a "religion" is a way for people to rationalize the rejection of scientific studies.  Ideologies such as libertarianism is badly undermined by things like climate change.  So labeling such it "luddism", or "religious fundamentalism", helps a person ignore information that is damaging to their ideology and still feel rational.

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Ideologies such as libertarianism is badly undermined by things like climate change.

Not really.  A Libertarian would just demonstrate how government policies and incentives encouraged pollution and how the problem would be far less with freedom and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2013, 03:20:15 PM

Economics that relies on historical comparison rather than data analysis is not limited to the Austrian school.  Keynes was not a model builder and tester, neither was John Kenneth Galbraith.

QuoteHowever, the point of calling environmental ideas a "religion" is a way for people to rationalize the rejection of scientific studies.  Ideologies such as libertarianism is badly undermined by things like climate change.  So labeling such it "luddism", or "religious fundamentalism", helps a person ignore information that is damaging to their ideology and still feel rational.

That is one possible motivation, out of many,  for a person to label environmentalism a religion.  I label certain environmentalists religious when they are more concerned about the means than they are about the ends--for example if they oppose offsets or sinks or the like because it's not pure and esthetic enough.

Totally no clue what you mean by libertarianism being undermined by climate change.  Because it's an externalilty?

Does Keynesian economics use mathematical models?  Which environmental "ends" in particular worry you?  The reason that libertarianism is undermined is because one of the central concepts, "I should be able to do what I want so long as I doesn't harm others" breaks down.  So yeah, it's an "externality", thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2013, 03:23:14 PM
Ideologies such as libertarianism is badly undermined by things like climate change.

Not really.  A Libertarian would just demonstrate how government policies and incentives encouraged pollution and how the problem would be far less with freedom and stuff.

Yes, blaming the government is the favored solution to all libertarian problems, ideological or practical.  In this case they often blame governments for financing studies in the first place!

Admiral Yi

Many people, Keynesians among them, have tested his theories against data.  He personally did not AFAIK, which does not invalidate his work.

I didn't say any enviromental ends worry me.  You misread my post.

"As long as I doesn't [sic] harm others."  That seems relevant to externalities.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
Yes, blaming the government is the favored solution to all libertarian problems, ideological or practical.  In this case they often blame governments for financing studies in the first place!

Wait why is global warming a Libertarian problem that they must solve?  Last I checked pollution has tended to be low in societies experiencing anarchy :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

If everyone lived on a 20-acre ranch in Idaho, global warming would be welcome.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2013, 04:20:49 PM
If everyone lived on a 20-acre ranch in Idaho, global warming would be welcome.

:lol: