News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on December 31, 2009, 01:00:26 PM
I've managed to finally survive as Byzantium.

You know the new CB and managed war system takes some getting used to.  Twice now I've started a "reconquest" war, but decided to take one non-CB province.  You really get hammered by infamy when you do that...

Tell me how? Because in the 8 games I just tried the Timurids got white peaces within 3 years and every time my war against the turk fails, do you want to know how? Well, when I take edirne the 10 galleys that are there get thrown out of port. They meet my 15 galleys and 3 cogs in the sea of marmara and beat them every time. Same tech level and they don't have a leader. Then Mehmet I the assraper (not that the greeks wouldn't enjoy that) and his 20k stack of doom get across and wipe me out.

I survived the turks once, but nobody and I mean nobody actually honours my quite legitimate calls to arms, even against the turks.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

regarding government systems: with fast-expanding states like Ottomans, I think it actually pays off to remain a despotic monarchy due to the infamy limit bonus.

Martinus

I decided to restart my game, as playing a catholic narrowminded Westernized super Poland was too easy.

Now my goal - turning Poland into a multi-religious Westernized Noble Republic.  :homestar:

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2009, 10:45:27 PM

You know the new CB and managed war system takes some getting used to.  Twice now I've started a "reconquest" war, but decided to take one non-CB province.  You really get hammered by infamy when you do that...

Tell me how? Because in the 8 games I just tried the Timurids got white peaces within 3 years and every time my war against the turk fails, do you want to know how? Well, when I take edirne the 10 galleys that are there get thrown out of port. They meet my 15 galleys and 3 cogs in the sea of marmara and beat them every time. Same tech level and they don't have a leader. Then Mehmet I the assraper (not that the greeks wouldn't enjoy that) and his 20k stack of doom get across and wipe me out.

I survived the turks once, but nobody and I mean nobody actually honours my quite legitimate calls to arms, even against the turks.

Huh.  I usually had only 12-13 galleys, and that seemed to be enough.  The one time I succeeded my ally Wallachia had actually started the war, which meant I joined their war.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2009, 10:45:27 PM

not sure if ti will still ork but I found in IN that putting a carrack in there with the galleys really helped.

Barrister

Except that carracks are really quite expensive.

Hmmm... dilemma.  Ottomans are reduced to 3 provinces, but still have vassals of Bosnia and Serbia.  Venice still has Crete and Silestria that I want (plus a vassal in Naxos).

Venice has declared war on the Ottomans.

My infamy is unfortunately high, so I can't risk taking any provinces without a CB.

Who do I go after?

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 04:05:50 PM
Except that carracks are really quite expensive.

Hmmm... dilemma.  Ottomans are reduced to 3 provinces, but still have vassals of Bosnia and Serbia.  Venice still has Crete and Silestria that I want (plus a vassal in Naxos).

Venice has declared war on the Ottomans.

My infamy is unfortunately high, so I can't risk taking any provinces without a CB.

Who do I go after?

Ottomans to have them cancel their vassals.

Barrister

Meh - since I have no CBs on Serbia or Bosnia I'm somewhat happy for them to stay as Ottoman vassals - it prevents Hungary from swallowing them up.

DGuller

Try the patriot trick.  DOW them and crush them, but leave the patriots to do infamy-less annexing.

Habbaku

If I know Beeb, he will view that as rather gamey and not all that fun to do.  I view it the same way, myself--I've no interest in exploiting the game just to get more provinces, effectively going around the negative deterrents set up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on December 31, 2009, 07:37:03 PM
Speaking of imperial government, once you switch to that, should you still take up administrative monarchy when it comes around?

I guess it depends on your playstyle, but I made the switch immediately when the government type became available.  The bonuses outweighed the Empire's minor morale boost, for me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 01, 2010, 06:42:02 PM
If I know Beeb, he will view that as rather gamey and not all that fun to do.  I view it the same way, myself--I've no interest in exploiting the game just to get more provinces, effectively going around the negative deterrents set up.

:yes:

BTW, I found my allied vassals as Ottomans quite surprisingly useful, ever since they capture provinces in war for you and not for themselves. Altough of course I cant control their movement, but they do effectively provide me with sieging armies I dont have to maintain myself. Neat.

katmai

Okay can someone explain to me why after i've registered my EUIII complete and HttT the paradox forums keep telling me i can't search the EUIII forums, stupid p'dox.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2010, 07:44:30 PM
Okay can someone explain to me why after i've registered my EUIII complete and HttT the paradox forums keep telling me i can't search the EUIII forums, stupid p'dox.

They run the forums on basically a C-64.  The search forum was turned off years ago.

katmai

Quote from: ulmont on January 01, 2010, 09:06:39 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2010, 07:44:30 PM

They run the forums on basically a C-64.  The search forum was turned off years ago.

Well until I bought EU III it had been like 2004 since I was last there. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son