After Shooting, Police Distrust Widens in Brooklyn Neighborhood

Started by garbon, March 13, 2013, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

But something did happen:  a breach of the public peace. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Besides like someone making noise in Manhattan is really a call for alarm. :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 08:18:13 PM
Why? Nothing would have happened had they not arrested her.

But something did happen, we just don't know what.

Unless you are arguing that charges not being filed are, in all cases, concrete proof that an arrest should never have been made to begin with, your argument is based on...well, nothing reallly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

She could have easily just gotten uppity and talked to the officers in a way they didn't like.

After all, the only evidence we have that something happened is that the police took action. I think that's a group that has shown in general that we should regard their actions with scrutiny and skepticism.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 08:29:55 AM
After all, the only evidence we have that something happened is that the police took action. I think that's a group that has shown in general that we should regard their actions with scrutiny and skepticism.

We know *something* happened, the chick admitted as much.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 08:48:48 AM

We know *something* happened, the chick admitted as much.

Yeah the police arrested her and she's suing that they violated her 1st amendment rights.

Berkut

She could have easily just gotten uppity and talked to the officers in a way they didn't like.

Exactly my point - you are just speculating about what happened.

Maybe the officers were unreasonable, maybe they were not, you have no idea.

But you don't let that stop you from drawing conclusions and taking sides.

0 rows returned

garbon

Which is the same thing that Seeds and Der did so I'm okay with that. :)

garbon

More from the Big Apple:

QuoteNYPD Now Running Criminal Checks On Domestic Abuse Victims

It's already very difficult prosecuting domestic abuse cases, because 75 percent of the time the women who were victimized stop helping prosecutors—thankfully, wifebeaters like to brag about their misdeeds, and they are really, really dumb about it. But things are going to get even harder now that the NYPD has enacted a new directive: according to the Post, officers must run criminal checks on domestic abuse victims when they come forward. And if they have any warrants, even for minor offenses like unpaid tickets, a police source says "you have no choice but to lock them up."

"This is going to deter victims of domestic violence," the police source said. "They're going to be scared to come forward." The new directive, sent out in a memo on March 5th, has been set forth by Chief of Detectives Phil Pulaski, and already seems to be controversial among the rank and file. Their source said that the memo puts undue pressure on officers to make an arrest, even if someone was clearly battered by a spouse: "We have every right to arrest that person at that moment," the source told the tabloid.

"The majority of domestic-violence cases go unreported," said defense attorney Joseph Tacopina. "This is just going to increase this percentage." Matrimonial lawyer Marilyn Chinitz agreed: "That is very, very frightening. It would absolutely dissuade people. They would not report a crime because they would fear getting locked up. It would empower the perpetrator, and there's going to be more domestic violence as a consequence, and you're endangering children."

We've contacted the NYPD for comment on the new policy.

Update: NYPD spokesman Paul Browne released this statement about the story: "While it is standard practice and policy for detectives to investigate victims' backgrounds to help lead them to the victims' assailants, the NYPD - contrary to a published report - has no "must arrest" policy that applies to domestic violence victims. In fact, the discovery of open warrants on domestic violence victims often results in their warrants being vacated."

QuoteHappy 5 Millionth Stop And Frisk, NYPD!

Today the NYPD will make history when, somewhere in New York City (most likely East New York), an officer will blow off the Constitution and stop somebody for a pat-down and I.D. check for the five millionth time since Mayor Bloomberg took office. Hundreds of balloons and streamers will fall from the sky, air horns will blast, and cops may or may not call the unlucky friskee "a fucking mutt." You never know how these stops are going to go down, but it's a pretty safe bet the five millionth customer will be black or Latino.

More than 86 percent of people stopped during the Bloomberg administration were black or Latino, according to an analysis by the NYCLU based on an extrapolation of Police Department data. And 4.4 million of these stop-and-frisk encounters, or 88 percent, were of innocent people who were not arrested or issued a summons. During Bloomberg's first year in office, the NYPD conducted 97,296 street stops; last year they racked up 533,042—down from 685,724 in 2011.

"This disturbing milestone is a slap in the face to New Yorkers who cherish the right to walk down the street without being interrogated or even thrown up against the wall by the police," NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman said. "The NYPD's routine abuse of stop-and-frisks is a tremendous waste of police resources, it sows mistrust between officers and the communities they serve, and it routinely violates fundamental rights. A walk to the subway, corner deli or school should not carry the assumption that you will be confronted by police, but that's the disturbing reality for young men of color in New York City."

Mayor Bloomberg and the NYPD argue that stop-and-frisk keeps New Yorkers safe. In January, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly warned that if the department's stop-and-frisk policy changes, "People will die as a result." (Of course, it's worth considering that both stop-and-frisks and homicides declined in 2012.)

The NYPD's milestone comes on the eve of a landmark trial in Floyd v. City of New York, a federal class-action lawsuit filed by the Center for Constitutional Rights challenging the constitutionality of the NYPD's stop-and-frisk practices. And yesterday we reported that the NYPD arrested a woman for merely saying something negative about stop-and-frisk in public.

http://gothamist.com/2013/03/15/nypd_now_running_criminal_checks_on.php

http://gothamist.com/2013/03/14/happy_5_millionth_stop_and_frisk_ny.php

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

That is some fine reporting right there.

"In other news, yesterday we reported that something happened, but of course all we actually reported yesterday is what someone TOLD US happened, while today we are reporting that what they said happened actually happened."

Journalistic integrity? No such thing here.

0 rows returned