Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

garbon

Also this line strikes me as a bit off:
"my fat was part of the package, not something that could (or should) be changed."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 12:51:05 PM
I don't actually see her addressing watching what she eats.

True.  I assumed it with the "we both get plenty of exercise", plus the fact she doesn't seemed to have gained any significant amount of weight either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2013, 12:31:07 PM
It's really no different from any other form of self-harm: "honey, I can't stop my drinking, you will just have to love a drunk". That's different from "honey, I have a drinking problem. Please work with me on this". Same with obesity. Only, obesity is often even harder to deal with, as one *can* just give up drinking but just giving up eating is impossibe.

Agreed. 

The article in the OP seems to indicate a woman who just gave up.  That personality trait is something I would have trouble dealing with.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2013, 12:57:02 PM
It's really no different from any other form of self-harm: "honey, I can't stop my drinking, you will just have to love a drunk". That's different from "honey, I have a drinking problem. Please work with me on this". Same with obesity. Only, obesity is often even harder to deal with, as one *can* just give up drinking but just giving up eating is impossibe.

Agreed. 

The article in the OP seems to indicate a woman who just gave up.  That personality trait is something I would have trouble dealing with.

So Sisyphus is a role-model to you? :hmm:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Taken the other way, I'd rather be married to someone who was slightly overweight rather than thin and constantly obsessed with staying that way.  That just strikes me as being far too narcissistic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 01:03:09 PM

Agreed. 

?

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on March 14, 2013, 01:12:23 PM
Taken the other way, I'd rather be married to someone who was slightly overweight rather than thin and constantly obsessed with staying that way.  That just strikes me as being far too narcissistic.

Why do you think fit peope constantly obsess about staying thin rather than simply having a healthy lifestyle of eating properly and exercising.

Granted that isnt the norm anymore so people that dont eat junkfood and do exercise might seem a bit odd.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2013, 01:14:26 PM

Agreed. 

?

:cry: I thought that would be a fairly well-known myth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

garbon

Agreed. 

?

I think he's going with her suggestion that weight loss was pointless as she always gained back more.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2013, 01:16:05 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 14, 2013, 01:12:23 PM

Why do you think fit peope constantly obsess about staying thin rather than simply having a healthy lifestyle of eating properly and exercising.
I'm not necessarily referring to fit people who have a normal exercise routine and eat healthily.  I mean people whose only topic of conversation is their weight and what they are doing about it.  The issue isn't their weight or fitness but their ability to hold an interesting conversation.  I'm just not that interested in their personal body maintenance.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 01:18:37 PM

Agreed. 

?

It is but I have no idea why you are mentioning it based on my post.

Are you implying trying to be fit is hopeless?

Legbiter

Finally read the article. Painful.

"Fat acceptance" is just....wow.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 14, 2013, 01:26:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2013, 01:18:37 PM

Agreed. 

?

It is but I have no idea why you are mentioning it based on my post.

Are you implying trying to be fit is hopeless?

Fit?  Absolutely not.

But then again you can be fit and healthy and still have excess fat.

For some people trying to be skinny is hopeless (absent absolutely herculean sub-1000 calorie permanent diets).

derspiess

Sorry Beeb, I agree with you on most things but you're just going to have to admit you're wrong here ;)

For people who "just can't seem to lose weight" (aka people who take big portions & snack a lot, then lie to themselves about it), there's always weight-loss surgery to help them along.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall