Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Goldman Sachs is in mourning.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I think the protocol has been to not shit in specifically eulogy (eulogic?) threads.

So for example if Mongers started a "RIP Kim Jong-un" thread, or if if Marty started a "RIP Wiktor Kzlkswki, Most Famous Polish Gay Activist" thread, it would be bad form to shit in those.

But this was started as a breaking news thread (I assume).

Iormlund

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2013, 07:54:11 PM
"RIP Wiktor Kzlkswki, Most Famous Polish Gay Activist"

LOL, "Wiktor"

Sheilbh

I find I've no opinion in the burgeoning 'I'm more progressive' fans v haters competition on the left over this. He always seemed to me like a leftist Latin American variation on Putin.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2013, 07:17:05 PM
I guess some of the more 'enthusiastic' contributors to this thread will demanding the utmost respect is shown in the future Thatcher RIP thread ?

I think people have been very restrained in this thread. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2013, 08:43:19 PM
I find I've no opinion in the burgeoning 'I'm more progressive' fans v haters competition on the left over this. He always seemed to me like a leftist Latin American variation on Putin.

But you say that as an avowed blairite, so your disdain for the left and centre is inherent in your post.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2013, 08:59:47 PM
But you say that as an avowed blairite, so your disdain for the left and centre is inherent in your post.  ;)
Blairism's beyond left or right. It's forward! :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Well Chavez took a fairly prosperous S. American country and managed to wrecked the economy.  Mostly he seems to be a blowhard who said incendiary things that pleased some of the anti-American kooks and warmed many a right wing heart with the idea there might still be dangerous leftists hiding in the jungles of South America planning the destruction of the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 09:04:15 PM

Well Chavez took a fairly prosperous S. American country and managed to wrecked the economy.  Mostly he seems to be a blowhard who said incendiary things that pleased some of the anti-American kooks and warmed many a right wing heart with the idea there might still be dangerous leftists hiding in the jungles of South America planning the destruction of the US.

Depends how you define prosperous, if you mean a country with massive income and wealth inequalities, even by US standards, then perhaps. Previously a hell of a lot of the Venezuelan people didn't get much if anything out of their state.

Now you can bang on about the relative decline of the oil industry/economy, but some of his social policies have made some real impacts with the some of the country's poor.  Aren't governments supposed to do stuff like that or do you favour a Darwinian struggle for survival as a model for political structures ? 

Of course, GDP has declined, supposedly corrupt has got worse, from an already bad position, but he was after all the democratic choice of their system, let them do what they want and accept the consequences. 

But do carry on, as I find the more idealogical driven North American commentators in this thread rather amusing.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Oh, we find you equally as amusing.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Well, a falling tide lowers all boats.  Now I'll admit that a lot of American right wingers had a weird fascination with the man, but let's not pretend he did a lot of good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017