News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the best environment to raise kids?

Started by Barrister, March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best environment to raise children?

Urban - high rises and diversity
6 (24%)
Suburban - nice safe subdivisions
11 (44%)
Rural - country living is good living
6 (24%)
Next door to Jaron in Utah
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 12:04:04 PM
You either need glasses or reading comprehension classes.

QuoteA short drive to downtown Vancouver where they can take in a wide range of entertainments

Usually paragraphs contain a complete statement.  You were talking about living in a rural area in that paragraph.

Sigh, there is no point to further communication if you cannot understand that I was talking about a point in space that was near to all those things.  I will try to type more slowly for you next time.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 12:38:41 PM
Sigh, there is no point to further communication if you cannot understand that I was talking about a point in space that was near to all those things.  I will try to type more slowly for you next time.

I thought that was sort of what suburbs meant.  You are in a community near to a major urban area.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I like the idea of rural but from my personal exposure to my cousins. They will start to drive at the earliest possible time & will also start drinking much younger. More chances for under18 DUI than in an Urban public transport environment.

*This might have been mentioned, I am not reading 5 pages of CC vs anyone deaf discourse.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 12:42:23 PM

I thought that was sort of what suburbs meant.  You are in a community near to a major urban area.

Then you thought wrong.  Not all suburbs are that close to major urban centres.  That is the definition of suburban hell.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 01:00:29 PM

Then you thought wrong.  Not all suburbs are that close to major urban centres.  That is the definition of suburban hell.

Well you raise the point that with sufficient money these distinctions start to break down.  You can live next to downtown, and have a beautiful backyard, and have recreational property for weekends, to get the best of all worlds.

So perhaps we should exclude, oh, I dunno, the richest 1% from this discussion.

There are neighbourhoods with beautiful yards that would allow me to bicycle to work.  I can not afford them however.  My choices instead would be to live in a cramped condo downtown, or a big house 45 minutes away from downtown.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2013, 02:03:32 PM
So perhaps we should exclude, oh, I dunno, the richest 1% from this discussion.

If you dont want my opinion, dont ask for it :bash:

But remember in the Canadian context the 1% isnt all that more rich....

garbon

Actually to be a suburb, I think you have to be in commuting distance of an urban area. Though of course that commuting distance can very greatly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2013, 02:25:16 PM

Actually to be a suburb, I think you have to be in commuting distance of an urban area. Though of course that commuting distance can very greatly.

Yeah, here in Vancouver some people end up commuting two hours  - one way.  Hardly close proximity to the entertainments of the City core - hence suburban hell.

Put another way, if everyone in the suburbs had easy access to urban services and entertainment then there would be no useful distinction between urban and suburban. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 02:37:12 PM
Put another way, if everyone in the suburbs had easy access to urban services and entertainment then there would be no useful distinction between urban and suburban. 

Sort of. I mean there is still some distinction as there's a difference of walking outside of one's home vs. driving into the city proper and finding parking. One's much less of a hassle and likely to be done more often.

Hell there is even distinctions of ease within a city say Manhattan vs. The Bronx or Sunset District vs. Mission District (in SF).

For me suburban hell suggests like what they showed on Weeds where all of the suburban homes are built in the exact same style and seem to be replicated over a vast area with little to break up the housing tracts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2013, 02:42:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2013, 02:37:12 PM

Sort of. I mean there is still some distinction as there's a difference of walking outside of one's home vs. driving into the city proper and finding parking. One's much less of a hassle and likely to be done more often.

Point conceded

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2013, 04:13:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2013, 04:11:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Then there's rural.  All of nature is your playground.  You can actually see the stars at night.  Depending on the town, you might actually not even bother locking your door at night.  But very few programs, and what is available will have you driving everywhere.
This.  Can't imagine growing up anywhere else than I did.  Even while travelling with my father, we were staying on a construction site, always lots of space.

I never thought a construction site would be the answer for raising children. Though it would have a certain Darwinian attraction ...  :D

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2013, 04:17:29 PM
It's like being raised in a circus, minus all the fun stuff.

Let's see:
+ lots of space.
+ while other kids had a tiny sandbox, I had a whole truck to play with.
+ lots of objects to have fun, nails, hammers, pieces of wood.
+ concrete, lots of it.  Who doesn't love concrete? :)
+ concrete slabs + left over construction material = springboard for bike stunts (until my father discovered it :( )
+ steel structure to walk on and give my parents stomach cramps.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

The environment within the home is more important than the environment of the community in which the home is located.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive