News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's Up In New Yawk?

Started by DontSayBanana, February 28, 2013, 08:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Headed up to NoHo in NYC on Friday night, and I was wondering what kind of stuff to do during the day.  Any suggestion?  Garbs?
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Get mugged. yelled at by the large population of crazies and assholes.  Maybe stuck in a mammoth traffic jam.  Also there is always the pick pockets that prey on the swarming crowds at Times Square and the other tourist traps.  Or pay $15.00 for a burger at one of the gourmet food trucks that litter the alleys.
PDH!

garbon

So you're here Saturday then? What things in general do you like to do? I can pm you some suggestions if you give me direction. Or as in - what have you seen here before? :D

@Wags - Good Languish spirit! ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2013, 08:50:01 AM
So you're here Saturday then? What things in general do you like to do? I can pm you some suggestions if you give me direction. Or as in - what have you seen here before? :D

Friday.  The GF and I are headed up to one of Eddie Izzard's WIP shows being done at The Culture Project, and we were hoping to just make a day trip out of it.

And not too much, actually.  It's been a couple years since the last time I was up in NYC, it was a couple years before that, and both times, we were hanging around Times Square.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 28, 2013, 08:21:46 AM
Get mugged.  yelled at by the large population of crazies and assholes.  Maybe stuck in a mammoth traffic jam.  Also there is always the pick pockets that prey on the swarming crowds at Times Square and the other tourist traps.  Or pay $15.00 for a burger at one of the gourmet food trucks that litter the alleys.

That was basically my sister's reaction when I told her that if I were to visit her in the U.S. I would also plan for a week in NY. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 28, 2013, 08:56:19 AM

Friday.  The GF and I are headed up to one of Eddie Izzard's WIP shows being done at The Culture Project, and we were hoping to just make a day trip out of it.

And not too much, actually.  It's been a couple years since the last time I was up in NYC, it was a couple years before that, and both times, we were hanging around Times Square.

Alright well downtown - you can easily walk down into the soho area which is full of nice shops (well minus touristy broadway where you have all your major consumer labels), cafes, restaurants and independent art galleries (Particularly along W. Broadway and Thompson).  You've also got just a little northwest of the venue - Washington Square Park (which is really more pavement than grass).

East of soho, you have the start of the lower east side and the tenement museum which I've heard is lovely but I've never been. There's also the New Museum but that's only good if you like alternative forms of art (video, performance, stacked objects).

In a completely different direction, you could head over the 15th and 9th ave and pop in at the chelsea market. Mostly cute food places, sometimes some shops / art fairs. From there you could walk along the highline. That always has fun views and is nice to walk along.

Foodwise, though cheapest bet is probably east village or parts of Lower East Side. Prices tend to increase Soho/Greenwich Village/W Village/Chelsea directions. :D

I'd avoid anything downtown, downtown as it is all rather hideous post-9/11 and unfortunately I believe the southstreet seaport is still in disrepair post-sandy.

If you were really feeling adventurous, you could take the train up to the Met which is next to central park. Their permanent pay as you wish scheme makes for a whole of art viewing for not more than a buck. So you could do an hour there and then check out Central Park.

Listed several outdoor things just because it is supposed to be near 50 and clear skies tomorrow. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2013, 09:08:04 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 28, 2013, 08:21:46 AM
Get mugged.  yelled at by the large population of crazies and assholes.  Maybe stuck in a mammoth traffic jam.  Also there is always the pick pockets that prey on the swarming crowds at Times Square and the other tourist traps.  Or pay $15.00 for a burger at one of the gourmet food trucks that litter the alleys.

That was basically my sister's reaction when I told her that if I were to visit her in the U.S. I would also plan for a week in NY. :lol:
I've had to go down every year to visit my wife's grandmother.  I loath that city.  Fortunately, my sister lives there.
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2013, 09:57:23 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 28, 2013, 08:56:19 AM

Alright well downtown - you can easily walk down into the soho area which is full of nice shops (well minus touristy broadway where you have all your major consumer labels), cafes, restaurants and independent art galleries (Particularly along W. Broadway and Thompson).  You've also got just a little northwest of the venue - Washington Square Park (which is really more pavement than grass).

East of soho, you have the start of the lower east side and the tenement museum which I've heard is lovely but I've never been. There's also the New Museum but that's only good if you like alternative forms of art (video, performance, stacked objects).

In a completely different direction, you could head over the 15th and 9th ave and pop in at the chelsea market. Mostly cute food places, sometimes some shops / art fairs. From there you could walk along the highline. That always has fun views and is nice to walk along.

Foodwise, though cheapest bet is probably east village or parts of Lower East Side. Prices tend to increase Soho/Greenwich Village/W Village/Chelsea directions. :D

I'd avoid anything downtown, downtown as it is all rather hideous post-9/11 and unfortunately I believe the southstreet seaport is still in disrepair post-sandy.

If you were really feeling adventurous, you could take the train up to the Met which is next to central park. Their permanent pay as you wish scheme makes for a whole of art viewing for not more than a buck. So you could do an hour there and then check out Central Park.

Listed several outdoor things just because it is supposed to be near 50 and clear skies tomorrow. :D

Gaby, you should write tour/lonely planet guides; you've sold NYC to even me.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 28, 2013, 10:29:59 AM
Gaby, you should write tour/lonely planet guides; you've sold NYC to even me.   :)

:blush:

My vision is pretty myopic. Left out places like Chinatown and Tribeca which I never visit.

MadImmortalMan

If it were me, the answer would be food. Jean Georges, Le Bernardin, Smith & Wollensky, the obligatory Katz's Deli I suppose for tourists. But order pastrami.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Katz' was expensive and noisy.  Sammiches were good and all, but for like 12-15 bucks I expect some fries or a soda with it.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 28, 2013, 12:37:35 PM
If it were me, the answer would be food. Jean Georges, Le Bernardin, Smith & Wollensky, the obligatory Katz's Deli I suppose for tourists. But order pastrami.

All of which are pretty expensive and not really near the part of New York that he'll be in (unless as I said he gets adventurous)*. :contract:

*also I tend not to suggest to people that they should spend an entire day eating. :P