News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mewgenics - the CdM-Sim?

Started by Syt, February 24, 2013, 12:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.destructoid.com/team-meat-s-mew-genics-is-a-cat-lady-sim-246528.phtml

QuoteFollowing up on 17 weeks of teasing, Edmund McMillen has finally spilled some beans on what the gameplay of Team Meat's latest project, Mew-Genics, will actually consist of. Up until now, we knew there were cats and that they would do things which cats do, but it turns out that the game is essentially a simulator of keeping cats in a home. That's probably a pretty reductive description of it, based on some of what Edmund describes.

Rather than go into the specifics of how all of this works, McMillen opted to describe a segment of play in a first-person narrative, in which he relays his efforts to breed a cat with a special tail which helped to win an award in the hopes that its offspring will share the trait. This is at first waylaid by an unacceptable mate and then dubbed a failure through narcolepsy inherited from the next attempt.

So, cat breeding and interaction, with the goal of creating an environment which feels alive and can create its own narratives. It sounds ambitious and the number of possible cat combinations (from appearance elements to individual statistics) are astronomical, according to McMillen. I'm sure we'll be learning about all kinds of facets to it as it works toward release on PC, iOS and Android.

I'm on board, and I know how the rest of the internet feels about cats, so this seems like a formula for commercial success if I've ever seen one. The 2D side-view perspective of the house reminded me of one of the early forefathers of The Sims, a 1985 Activision title called Little Computer People, which has always held a special place in my heart. I'm sure that nostalgic association is doing as much to inspire me to play this as the warm ball of kitty sitting in my lap as I write this.

Gameplay blog:
http://edmundm.com/post/43820398014/mew-genics-official-announcement-on-gameplay

QuoteLast week I was playing a game with Puddle, a fat female cat I had been working on earlier that day, I thawed her out of her Cryo-cube and placed her in my current single story house along with her newly generated companion Champ. I had been focusing my time on Puddle due to the fact that she seemed to have a very unique tail that I believe had helped her place 2nd in a cat pageant in a previous and I needed to breed her so I could continue her bloodline before she got too old. Sadly Champ wasn't up to snuff and Puddle made this obvious by repeatedly kicking him in the face, I separated them quickly by putting champ in the attic but when I tried to feed him.. something odd happened. See, Champ was a dullard and when Puddle kicked him he just happened to also be eating and now associated the trauma with food instead of Puddle herself, he was scared of all food.. and sadly died in the attic shortly after.

It wasn't long after though that I caught sight of a solid black stray cat named Goon, before he had a chance to run I grabbed him and pulled him inside. Goon was a much better fit for Puddle and before I knew it the humping started and puddle was pregnant! I put her in the attic with plenty of food and a bed, but quickly noticed that something was up with Goon, he seemed to be constantly falling asleep. As it turned out Goon was a narcoleptic and as you might have guessed Puddle gave birth to 2 sleeping kittens, one of them fat like his mother and black like his dad and the other small but with his mom's markings and that amazing forked tail that helped in the last pageant, but sadly both kittens were narcoleptic like their father...

Goon acted aggressively towards the kittens so I let him back out into the yard and he eventually ran away. As the kittens grew up I did enter the small one (his name was Dot) into a pageant but sadly he just fell asleep on the stage and didn't win anything. To add insult to injury Puddle also acquired feline aids from Goon and I couldn't afford any of the expensive treatments Dr. Beanies was offering so I put her back in the Cryo-cube in hopes that in the future I might have a cure for her disease once I finish a few more of the Doctor's missions.

I wasn't able to save Dot because I was arrested by the local animal control shortly after I put Puddle in the cube, probably because of letting Goon run away.. and the whole giving my other cat aids thing... or maybe it was the dead cat in the attic.

there are so many elements to Mew-Genics that i really dont feel like this post does it justice.. and honestly im not even sure how the hell we are going to come up with a short eloquent way of selling this game in a description, but i think that gameplay story sums up what our goal is, we want to create a living world where cats act like cats and your and their actions actually matter.

we are both very happy with the direction the game is moving in and will do random development updates as we progress, but we are done teasing and at this point just want to put our heads down and get this thing done! we have no projected release date yet but will be releasing this year on both Steam, iOS and Android, possibly more? who knows.

oh also that number we teased back when we started.. that number has grown.

the current number of cats in mewgenics is....
25418658283290000000000000 (and growing)

and that's just the foundation of their visual aspects, this doesnt count their kitten states, sizes, animation sets, stats, personality, etc.

if you arent already, be sure to follow us on twitter @supermeatboy we will randomly update with gameplay info and screen shots as development unfolds!

Cat Lady Sim! BE READY!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

garbon

I clicked on the blog link and vom'd when I saw "game really isn't like anything we've seen before" and " what we are trying to do is make a game that feels alive, a game that creates stories as you play where consequences actually mean something."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

so its like the old creatures games
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Seems more like "Cat Fortress" to me.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 24, 2013, 08:49:12 AM
Seems more like "Cat Fortress" to me.

Can they breed and eat dwarves?