Penny pinching: Can Obama kill the one-cent coin?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 20, 2013, 12:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 07:12:14 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 20, 2013, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 02:58:02 AM
Makes sense.

Its strange but I can't recall ever hearing of the penny being an issue in the UK but I have seen it from time to time about America. Its almost as stupid for Britain as for the US. :hmm:

Its strange that you wouldn't know about the controversy over the tiddler (the half-penny, which was the equivalent of the US penny), you being British and all, but, then, again, the tiddler was before your time and what Brit knows any of Britain's actual history?

Ironically, the argument over the tiddler was the exact opposite of the argument over the US penny; the public disliked the tiddler and the government liked it.

Part of the reason why the public hated the tiddler was its size, though.  Since British coins (within metal class) were proportional in weight to their value (a normally good idea) the tiddler had to be made half the weight of a penny and a quarter the weight of the tuppence.  If the tuppence was to be kept a reasonable weight, the tiddler had to be too small and easy to lose.  They were only in circulation for a dozen years or so.

:mellow:
Because I didn't mention the half penny I'm unaware that it ever existed?

Grumbler is just being grumbler, chasing you from thread to thread to snipe at you.. 

What I find amusing is he mentions a nickname for the 1/2p that I've never heard in my life; it's almost like he looked up the wiki on the coin and got his information from there.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Beat him in an argument and he'll pretend you don't exist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

I wonder how much we'd save if we just got rid of money altogether.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Because I note that you seem to be unaware of " the controversy over the tiddler" you think I am saying that you are "unaware that it [the half penny] ever existed"[my bold]?

What language is your first language?  Maybe you could translate what I say into that language, and then back into English, and thus improve your comprehension skills.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 07:27:21 PM
Grumbler is just being grumbler, chasing you from thread to thread to snipe at you.. 

:lmfao:  Paranoia much?  What thread am I supposedly chasing mongers from (or to, if that is what you are trying to describe), as a matter of curiosity?

QuoteWhat I find amusing is he mentions a nickname for the 1/2p that I've never heard in my life; it's almost like he looked up the wiki on the coin and got his information from there.   :hmm:

Really?  You lived in the UK in the early 1980s and didn't hear the term "tiddler?"  I lived in London at that time and never heard the coin referred to as anything else.  I realize that I made you resort to Wikipedia to learn the history of your own country, but you don't need to thank me.  :bowler:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2013, 07:12:29 AM

Because I note that you seem to be unaware of " the controversy over the tiddler" you think I am saying that you are "unaware that it [the half penny] ever existed"[my bold]?

What language is your first language?  Maybe you could translate what I say into that language, and then back into English, and thus improve your comprehension skills.
:lol:
Ah Grumbler and your arguments about nothing.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2013, 07:18:17 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 07:27:21 PM

:lmfao:  Paranoia much?  What thread am I supposedly chasing mongers from (or to, if that is what you are trying to describe), as a matter of curiosity?

QuoteWhat I find amusing is he mentions a nickname for the 1/2p that I've never heard in my life; it's almost like he looked up the wiki on the coin and got his information from there.   :hmm:

Really?  You lived in the UK in the early 1980s and didn't hear the term "tiddler?"  I lived in London at that time and never heard the coin referred to as anything else.  I realize that I made you resort to Wikipedia to learn the history of your own country, but you don't need to thank me.  :bowler:

You invariably take a pot at Tyr and do so in an unpleasant manner, I feel sorry for you than you need to behave in that manner.

I've never once heard that term used for a 1/2p, which is why I googled to see it, seems it's mentioned on wiki and very few other places.

If you say your time in London was fully of Londoners effing and dlinding and every third word a 'tiddler' I'll believe you.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Neil

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2013, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 21, 2013, 07:45:28 AM
You invariably take a pot and Tyr
??
He's speaking English English in order to reinforce grumbler's status as a cunt.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2013, 07:18:52 AM
:lol:
Ah Grumbler and your arguments about nothing.

:lmfao:  The Weasel of Tyr returns!  I am sure we are all shocked.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

You invariably take a pot at Tyr and do so in an unpleasant manner, I feel sorry for you than you need to behave in that manner.

Ah, the Ad Hom of Concession.  Concession accepted.

QuoteI've never once heard that term used for a 1/2p, which is why I googled to see it, seems it's mentioned on wiki and very few other places.

I am not sure what your ignorance evidences about anything but your ignorance.  Like most people, I suggest, you are ignorant of far more than you are cognizant of, so you shouldn't feel compelled to comment on every instance in which you are reminded of something about which you are ignorant.

QuoteIf you say your time in London was fully of Londoners effing and dlinding and every third word a 'tiddler' I'll believe you.   :hmm:

I ran the bolded gibberish through the Gibberish-English translator included in Chrome, and it still came out gibberish.  :(

Please try again in English.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2013, 08:21:56 AM

You invariably take a pot and Tyr

??

That was the only truly comprehensible part of the post, since context would give us "a pot at Tyr and we can assume "pot" is a Britishism for "attack" or "shot."

Bayraktar!