Endemic Sexual Abuse in State institutions in Ireland

Started by Cerr, May 20, 2009, 07:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2009, 10:53:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:49:52 AM
Calling the catholic church a "non profit" organization is...

It is.  They run schools and other social services.

Heck they have done amazing work to help out the struggling Texas social services and they make zero demands you even be religious.  The church does great work.  I will forever be grateful for what the church has done to support us when the State only makes our lives miserable.

They also do fucked up things, that is a nature of a huge and authoritarian system that they have.
Well, perhaps in third world countries, where there is a complete collapse of public infrastructure that could be the case. Fortunately, Europe is not Africa. Or Texas.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:53:40 AM
How are churches not a commercial property? They provide a service and collect money in return.

:frusty: You have got to be kidding me.

When the homeless line up at the church soup kitchen I suppose that is being done for the huge profits the church is going to reap?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:55:38 AM
Well, perhaps in third world countries, where there is a complete collapse of public infrastructure that could be the case. Fortunately, Europe is not Africa. Or Texas.

God you are an asshole.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2009, 10:56:01 AM
How are churches not a commercial property? They provide a service and collect money in return.

:frusty: You have got to be kidding me.

When the homeless line up at the church soup kitchen I suppose that is being done for the huge profits the church is going to reap?
Ever heard of PR? Microsoft and McDonald's also sponsor stuff, give money to the poor and do a lot of things like that. That doesn't make them non-profit.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 26, 2009, 10:49:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:36:19 AM
That's like saying companies should not be liable for their crimes, because all they own are factories and offices, and they need these to do their work properly.

Fuck the Church. If they don't have money to pay (which I find surprising) then auction all the jewelry, artwork and church buildings they have. If people still trust them, they will donate for them to recover. If not, then all the pedophiles in Vatican (with the ruling Pope himself implicated in the coverup of the American scandal) can bail them out.

The gauntlet has been thrown down; Marti has presented an Analogy.

If you're going to insist on viewing the Catholic church as an employment hierarchy, the actual offenders were fairly low on the totem pole. You don't take an employer's business away for not prosecuting an employee's offense, even when it was committed on the clock.

You're not doing much better DSB.

Under civil liability if the damages caused were large enough the company pays.  You could argue the captain of the Exxon Valdez was fairly low on the totem pole (well, when you consider the enormous size of Exxon), but his actions still cost the company billions of dollars.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:57:19 AM
Ever heard of PR? Microsoft and McDonald's also sponsor stuff, give money to the poor and do a lot of things like that. That doesn't make them non-profit.

And guess what douchebag?  Microsoft and McDonalds also get to be considered tax free for doing those sorts of social services.

If all Microsoft and McDonalds did was take voluntary donations to do charitable work they would fully be considered non-profit like the Church because that would be fucking logical.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2009, 10:47:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:36:19 AM
That's like saying companies should not be liable for their crimes, because all they own are factories and offices, and they need these to do their work properly.

:frusty:  How is that like saying that at all Mart?  He said the Church does not have any commericial property and then you say that is like saying a company only has commercial property?  Huh?

Only because individual churches may be running at a loss doesn't make them non-commercial. The catholic church is one of the richest institutions globally - surely a "non-profit" organization wouldn't be able to pull that off.

I'm pretty sure you're just being deliberately difficult, but...

The terms "for profit" and "non profit" refer to the organizations intention, not their balance sheet.  The fact that the Catholic Church might at the end of the year show a profit no more makes them a "for profit" organization than does the fact that General Motors is hemorraging money makes them a charity.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 26, 2009, 10:49:52 AM
The gauntlet has been thrown down; Marti has presented an Analogy.
And because of who he is, it can be discounted out of hand.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Alright, alright. Geez, I indulge in a bit of trollishness and everyone jumps on me. :P

Marti: They are a not for profit organization because they don't claim to have a profit as an intention of their business; they are successful simply because they collect charitable donations, turn around and make their own charitable donations (they can only keep a certain percentage above operating costs in order to remain an NFP- for NFP status in the US, IIRC, 70 cents of each dollar have to go either to operating expenses or charitable donations- somewhere around there). The reputation earns them more donations, and so they spiral upward into the massive organization they are today.

Yes, they earn billions of dollars, but they turn around and spend billions of dollars on their operations as well.

I would expect a lawyer to have a better understanding of the situation than a community college student.
Experience bij!

Cerr

Quote from: Martinus on May 26, 2009, 10:35:12 AM
Quote from: Cerr on May 26, 2009, 08:01:42 AM
One of the victims of the scandal spoke on a current affairs TV show last night. It's well worth watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jHqndf9Kx4&feature=channel_page
Amazing and moving.
Yeah, it really is.
In a few minutes of speaking, he completely shames the church and the government.

Cerr

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2009, 09:55:33 AM
Quote from: Cerr on May 25, 2009, 07:10:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 25, 2009, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 23, 2009, 04:23:06 AM
Just nuke the whole cursed island and be done with it.

Please wait until August, when I'm off the island.

Your 'Merican Friend,

Ed
Where are you going in Ireland?

County Cork for a few days, then County Donegal for a few. Staying with my wife's cousins, so I'd have to look up the towns. I think one in Donegal is in Ballyshannon.

I'm going to use my spare time to stalk follow the Corr sisters.  :P
:lol:
Good decision, just make sure you avoid the brother.  :P
He's a conspiracy theory nutjob.