The Goofy, Anti-Nazi Parody Video That Enraged Goebbels

Started by jimmy olsen, February 12, 2013, 05:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

First of all, she should use the word film instead of video. Secondly, the thing that strikes me is how far editing has come. A teenager with a YouTube account and some software ripped off bittorrent could do better.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/02/12/_lambeth_walk_nazi_style_the_goofy_anti_nazi_parody_video_that_enraged_goebbels.html
The Goofy, Anti-Nazi Parody Video That Enraged Goebbels

By Rebecca Onion
Posted Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM ET
Share on Facebook

The Vault is Slate's new history blog. Like us on Facebook; follow us on Twitter @slatevault; find us on Tumblr. Find out more about what this space is all about here.

The "Lambeth Walk" was a popular dance craze in the U.S. and the U.K. in the late 1930s. The song, from the musical Me and My Girl, referred to a street in a Cockney district in London. Dancers strode back and forth, punctuating their "walk" with high kicks and broad gestures. (You can see a rendition from a 1984 production of the musical here. Advance to the 2-minute mark to see the whole cast dancing the Walk.)

In 1940, an enterprising official at the British Ministry of Information put together this video, "Lambeth Walk—Nazi Style." The official, Charles A. Ridley, edited parts of Leni Riefenstahl's 1934 propaganda film Triumph of the Will to make it appear as though Nazi soldiers and Hitler were doing the Lambeth Walk.

The gag was all the sweeter because a Nazi Party member had publicly denounced the dance in 1939 after the craze caught on in Berlin, calling it "Jewish mischief and animalistic hopping."

Partisans on both sides recognized the effectiveness of this bit of parody. Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels apparently ran out of a screening room in a rage after viewing it. And according to historian Erik Barnouw, the Danish resistance used to enter cinemas in occupied Denmark and force projectionists to show the short.

The Ministry of Information distributed the video without narration to newsreel companies, who supplied their own commentary. This 1942 version is from Universal Studios and was titled "Gen. Adolph Takes Over"; it's available in several formats on the  Internet Archive.

video
http://bcove.me/xsrjq0hm
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Well it is hardly shocking that a modern computer could do better than the scissors method they used to use.

I remember watching a Nazimentary where they mentioned this film.  I believe when it was screened all the Nazis started laughing before Goebbels went into a rage and then suddenly all the other Nazis were outraged as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Lambeth Road is a Cockney area? That's right across the river from Parliament isn't it?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 12, 2013, 05:37:42 PM
Lambeth Road is a Cockney area? That's right across the river from Parliament isn't it?
Yep. Lambeth's a big bit of centre/south-west London.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 05:20:38 PM
First of all, she should use the word film instead of video. Secondly, the thing that strikes me is how far editing has come. A teenager with a YouTube account and some software ripped off bittorrent could do better.

So why aren't more of those teenage geniuses making popular satirical  attacks on political authority, instead of just posting 3rd rate slogan-pictures on Faceplant ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 05:56:59 PM

So why aren't more of those teenage geniuses making popular satirical  attacks on political authority, instead of just posting 3rd rate slogan-pictures on Faceplant ?
It doesn't take a genius. They're not interested in politics, they're in interested in making angsty music video mashups.

Not sure who made this, but I suppose this is the closest thing I've seen lately to the video in the OP, though it's not as much editing, but letting North Korea speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNBfBr-OGU
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

First of all, she should use the word film instead of video.

Go fuck yourself, you simpleton little fuck.  She can use the word "video" all she wants.

You fuck.

jimmy olsen

It's a historical blog, she should strive to use words that aren't anachronistic.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 12, 2013, 06:06:03 PM

Go fuck yourself, you simpleton little fuck.  She can use the word "video" all she wants.

You fuck.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 06:07:56 PM
It's a historical blog, she should strive to use words that aren't anachronistic.

Are you really nitpicking about articles on slate? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 06:02:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 05:56:59 PM

It doesn't take a genius. They're not interested in politics, they're in interested in making angsty music video mashups.

Not sure who made this, but I suppose this is the closest thing I've seen lately to the video in the OP, though it's not as much editing, but letting North Korea speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNBfBr-OGU

Well this is the problem, there's all this amazing technology and distribution methods available and how many people at doing what about anything, politically.

Think of all the trouble and danger people endured in Eastern Europe to produce and put out samizdat, nowadays political pamphleteering is all but dead.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 06:21:43 PM
Think of all the trouble and danger people endured in Eastern Europe to produce and put out samizdat, nowadays political pamphleteering is all but dead.  :(

Bad for the environment. I don't need more papers to stick right in the recycling bin.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 12, 2013, 06:06:03 PM

You fuck.

Timmay's assburgers is all active tonight.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son