News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia in Trouble this Year?

Started by Jacob, February 12, 2013, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Lotta stretching there. New Yorkers going without electricity for a while hardly makes for a bad year for the country. And the really bad coup in Iran was much later.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

rolling thunder = dead gooks. POSITIVE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 12, 2013, 07:02:24 PMYou're right.  Knowing you, you're fruity enough to buy them online straight from the homeland, made from authentic endangered animal flesh.

You're over thinking it. There are plenty of stores selling red envelopes. No need to search Wahlgreen or buying them online. I just go to one of the many stores or malls that sell them.

That said, I don't have many friends or family with kids in the right age range, so I'm not paying out red envelope money... yet.

Ideologue

WTF is the significance of a red envelope?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on February 13, 2013, 12:39:17 PM

Red is good luck for the new year and it has money in it usually.  I think that is about it right Jake?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

It's stuffed with powered rhinoceros horn and a shark fin.

Jacob

On special occasions - the Lunar New Year, Birthdays, Weddings - older relatives/guests give red envelopes containing cash to younger relatives/the people being celebrated.

It's basically a formalized way for grandpa to hand out the change in his pockets to the grand kids. I expect you to approve, as it's a transfer of wealth from older, richer people to younger, less affluent ones.

Valmy

Businesses often give out red envelopes with bonuses for their employees on Chinese New Year as well...or  so I hear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2013, 12:51:30 PM
Businesses often give out red envelopes with bonuses for their employees on Chinese New Year as well...or  so I hear.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I've never worked in an environment like that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2013, 12:51:30 PM

My pink slip wasn't even pink.    :(

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on February 13, 2013, 12:49:41 PM

On special occasions - the Lunar New Year, Birthdays, Weddings - older relatives/guests give red envelopes containing cash to younger relatives/the people being celebrated.

It's basically a formalized way for grandpa to hand out the change in his pockets to the grand kids. I expect you to approve, as it's a transfer of wealth from older, richer people to younger, less affluent ones.

They do it out of a sense of noblesse oblige.  I only approve when they are forced by the power of the state.

:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 13, 2013, 09:12:23 AM
Lotta stretching there. New Yorkers going without electricity for a while hardly makes for a bad year for the country. And the really bad coup in Iran was much later.

You are thinking of the wrong coup.

The Americans really screwed up with the first one, which ultimately led to the second one.

Have a look at this book which sets it all out fairly well.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Shahs-Men-American-Middle/dp/047018549X

Viking

Pretty much all years in history have been bad for Russia. The entire Chinese zodiac is bad for Russia.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2013, 05:23:55 PM
The Americans really screwed up with the first one, which ultimately led to the second one.

I hardly think the Islamic revolution was inevitable in 1954. As such, it's hardly evident that that revolution made 1953 a "bad year" for America. Even if it had been inevitable, Iran is still a pretty minor concern in the grand scheme of things. The Korean War ended, Stalin died, a vaccine for polio was found, Ian Fleming published first Bond movie, double helix published on, etc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2013, 12:42:37 PM

Red is good luck for the new year and it has money in it usually.  I think that is about it right Jake?

What is the one where they light fake money on fire?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017