News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Moral resignations versus steadfast corruption

Started by merithyn, February 11, 2013, 09:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Based on the Pope's resignation thread - and the political discussion therein - I began to wonder what you guys might think on this.

What's the better option: your politicians/leaders resign at the slightest hint of scandal on things like an illicit affair, call-girl parties, etc., or they stay in office come hell or high water, regardless of what corruption and/or scandal comes out?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

I guess it depends on the situation.

For example, in Poland, politicians are notorious for not resigning (and not being fired by their bosses) until pretty much they are led away in handcuffs - so here we would definitely need some more willingness to resign.

On the other hand, unless the politician in question is the head of the National Association for Traditional Family or something, I don't think it is right to expect a politician to resign because he sent a picture of his dick to a woman who is not his wife.

Zanza

Our politicians seem to resign for comparatively small scandals. I prefer it that way. I would go so far to say that it is okay to hold politicians to higher standards than average citizens. They volunteer for a position of power and influence and with that comes higher scrutiny and less tolerance for personal failings.

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on February 11, 2013, 01:41:05 PM
Our politicians seem to resign for comparatively small scandals. I prefer it that way. I would go so far to say that it is okay to hold politicians to higher standards than average citizens. They volunteer for a position of power and influence and with that comes higher scrutiny and less tolerance for personal failings.

I don't mind this, so long as the scrutiny and minimal tolerance is held to the time that a person is running for or in office. I dislike it when someone's personal life from years before they became a public figure is pranced out as proof that the person isn't fit for office.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

That depends on the nature of the scandal rather than the size of it, really.

I don't give a fuck about whether the rumours are true and the Prez likes it from behind. Accepting money from contractors, on the other hand, is a big no-no.

Zanza

Quote from: merithyn on February 11, 2013, 01:54:19 PM

I don't mind this, so long as the scrutiny and minimal tolerance is held to the time that a person is running for or in office. I dislike it when someone's personal life from years before they became a public figure is pranced out as proof that the person isn't fit for office.
Depends. I don't really have a problem if say being a Stasi informer (or a few decades ago being a Nazi) comes back to bite people in the ass decades later. Or if something politicians did while they still held a junior position only comes to light once they hold a more senior office and scrutiny increases.

Barrister

"It depends", really.  It depends on the nature of the scandal, and what they are resigning from.

There's a long history in Westminster-style governments of Ministers who, when facing scandal, resign from their cabinet ministry.  However, they stay on as MPs and in caucus.  After a suitable period of time in the backbenchs however they then are placed back in cabinet, and nobody seems to mind.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Our politicians very rarely make a comeback. I can think of just one high-ranking politician in Germany that survived a scandal (the current finance minister).

Barrister

As I said, it happens here.  Maxime Bernier is a good example.  He was Canada's foreign minister until he was forced to resign because he had left some confidential NATO briefing notes at his ex-girlfriend's house.  This happened in 2008, but in 2011 he re-joined cabinet as minister for tourism and small business (an admittedly small portfolio).

MadImmortalMan

Politicians have the worst of all worlds. Their position makes them famous but not rich. They must endure the utmost scrutiny of their conduct and personal lives. If they find a way to use their position to enrich themselves, it is considered scandalous and they must resign. It's a wonder anybody of quality ever chooses that life.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 11, 2013, 03:00:32 PM
Politicians have the worst of all worlds. Their position makes them famous but not rich. They must endure the utmost scrutiny of their conduct and personal lives. If they find a way to use their position to enrich themselves, it is considered scandalous and they must resign. It's a wonder anybody of quality ever chooses that life.  :P

I was pondering offering to run as a candidate in the next provincial election (we just had one, so it's some time away).  Trouble is it would actually mean a pay cut for me if I won. :hmm:

Caliga

Don't do it. :yucky:  Politics is a filthy vocation.  Only the scummiest of the scummy are fit to be politicians.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Sheilbh

I agree. But obviously it does depend. Generally I think that UK politicians resign over small issues. The sad thing is that surveys show that the British public's trust of politicians is about as low as in Italy.

But I think there does need to be a possibility for redemption (the Mandelson clause) if the resignation was more to do with press pressure than the scandal, or with the benefit of time the scandal seems small. I also think Ministers should resign for failings in their departments.

Generally I don't think they should resign over things in their personal lives. But if it has any impact on their public role (ie. corruption involving a spouse's company) then they should resign.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2013, 03:06:18 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 11, 2013, 03:00:32 PM

I was pondering offering to run as a candidate in the next provincial election (we just had one, so it's some time away).  Trouble is it would actually mean a pay cut for me if I won. :hmm:
What's your stance on Martinusism?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.