And we're back!

Main Menu

National Dress or Costume.

Started by mongers, February 08, 2013, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2013, 08:33:08 PM
Flannel and a toucque.  I've worn it.
I'll give you the toque, but I don't think flannel is worn any more in Canada than the US.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Warspite on February 09, 2013, 06:33:59 AM
If you're going to play the class card, look at what your grandparents wore to church and to weddings: suits.

Still the closest thing to a national dress. It's also England's contribution to attire.

My maternal grandfather, admittedly a colliery official rather than a run-of-the-mill miner, was prone to wearing 3-piece bespoke suits whenever he could get away with it. Back in the day even the roughest miners would wear a cheap suit for a saturday night at the miners' welfare. When you spend most of your life covered in dirt the opportunity to dress up becomes quite attractive.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 09, 2013, 10:18:41 PM
If you're going to play the class card, look at what your grandparents wore to church and to weddings: suits.

Still the closest thing to a national dress. It's also England's contribution to attire.

My maternal grandfather, admittedly a colliery official rather than a run-of-the-mill miner, was prone to wearing 3-piece bespoke suits whenever he could get away with it. Back in the day even the roughest miners would wear a cheap suit for a saturday night at the miners' welfare. When you spend most of your life covered in dirt the opportunity to dress up becomes quite attractive.

Yes, and it's often forgotten many manual workers, worked in their old suit if it was a suitable hard wearing fabrics. 
I noticed in one of those 30s colour BFI archive films, a lot of the dockers were wearing them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

And the great Italian v English cut debate goes on :lol:

I think that's fair for an English national dress.

I can't think of anything else that's English anyway. There's certainly no such thing as British dress, it's a made up nation.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: mongers on February 09, 2013, 10:26:05 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 09, 2013, 10:18:41 PM

Yes, and it's often forgotten many manual workers, worked in their old suit if it was a suitable hard wearing fabrics. 
I noticed in one of those 30s colour BFI archive films, a lot of the dockers were wearing them.

My stepfather often would even wear a dress shirt and tie (though not a full suit) when doing yard work around the house.

Darth Wagtaros

Are you sure the dude in the dude version is a dude Legbiter?
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2013, 07:15:14 PM
Have you ever warn what is regarded as the national dress or costume ?

I do feel I've missed out in working in the old fashion city and never having warn regulation bowler, pin-strip and furled umbrella.  :bowler:

Sure, all the time, it's the only costume that fits right on me:

Real answer: no. ;)
http://carnaval.qc.ca/gestion/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/bonhomme_glace2-LETTRE.jpeg
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.