News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Uh the Just Cause 2 Multiplayer Mod on Steam is really good if you think video games should be fun.

No bullshit story or overwraught ambitious commentary on the human condition, just piloting shit, racing, flying, killing, exploding, crashing, and shooting people all day long on 1000-player servers.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2013, 10:08:04 PM
Hey Before, did you see the Combat Mission teaser that Battlefront had up?  With T-34s?

No find the T-34 Raz.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Last year they (battlefront), said they had three ongoing projects that were quite far along.  Another expansion to Battle of Normandy (which has since been released) a Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 which would take place in the Ukraine with NATO fighting Russia (it has been revealed that the tentative title will be "Black Sea"), and new Combat Mission on the Eastern Front centered around Bagration.  I imagine the video is that last game.  I suppose it has been delayed slightly to make those fucking touch screen games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2013, 05:12:18 PM
Last year they (battlefront), said they had three ongoing projects that were quite far along.  Another expansion to Battle of Normandy (which has since been released) a Combat Mission: Shock Force 2 which would take place in the Ukraine with NATO fighting Russia (it has been revealed that the tentative title will be "Black Sea"), and new Combat Mission on the Eastern Front centered around Bagration.  I imagine the video is that last game.  I suppose it has been delayed slightly to make those fucking touch screen games.

Good deal.

I still wish they would do the '56-'73 israeli smackdowns. One day hopefully.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2013, 03:14:42 PM
It was linked to their front page.  It was a video, here it is on their Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2u71A8iIxI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUs7NcwPrqQOi5IOX0fvkiMw

QuoteWe'll give you a lot more visuals to chew on in January, but here's some non-visual stuff to think about. Let's see... where to start?

1. Ground to Air fire. Yup, now those AAA guns can do what they were supposed to do (shooting at aircraft) instead of the more fun role of plastering enemy units with lots of HE. Details are to come at a later time. In fact, we only got this to play with a few hours ago

2. Ammo Dumps. Since Fortress Italy vehicles have had ammo loadouts tailored to the unit type it's supposed to transport. Now this has been expanded somewhere and then made even better. When you purchase a unit that has vehicles you can opt to have the combat units only, the vehicles, or Ammo Dumps. The latter is the ammo stripped out of the vehicle and made into a stationary "unit" on the map. No more do you have to choose between standard ammo and a perhaps unwanted vehicle loaded with extra ammo. It can be placed wherever you like during Setup and during the game units can draw from it as they already can from vehicles. You can put the Ammo Dumps near your combat units, or concentrate them to the rear somewhere. Your choice!

3. Vehicle Ammo Leveling. This is a common frontline technique of evening out ammo supply between vehicles in order to keep as many vehicles in the fight as possible. Sometimes an entire platoon was withdrawn and leveled with another, other times it was just vehicles within the same platoon after one or two wound up firing off a lot of ammo. Like real life, however, this is kinda tricky to pull off under combat conditions. Vehicles must be parked VERY close to each other and left unbuttoned for quite a few minutes before leveling can take place. In other words, vehicles performing leveling are sitting ducks. For short games this probably isn't a very useful feature, but for you guys playing longer scenarios it's bound to be quite handy.

4. Larger Maps. You didn't think we wouldn't try out larger maps after doing all those speed improvements, did you? Shame on you if you didn't think we would! As of right now you can make maps roughly 30km2, with as of yet undetermined max length in any one direction (we're playing around with that still). Now you can make huge square maps or very long narrow ones. And yes, we also dramatically improved 2D map performance in the Editor to make the experience of building one of these monsters a happy experience instead of living death The speed improvements in the Editor obviously apply to smaller maps as well.

5. Tank riders, but you already knew that The number of soldiers each vehicle can take depends on the vehicle itself. Some, you'll find, don't take any because in real life they effectively couldn't.

And of course the usual things one should expect from a new theater of war... new terrain, new UI graphics, etc. Oh, and obviously what I just mentioned is just a few things that are new to the game.

Better still... these new features are going to be available to CMBN and CMFI as Upgrade 3.0. So those of you who don't want to slug it out on the Eastern Front (which us Ostfront grogs don't understand) you can enjoy the new features with what you already have in your hands. Provided, of course, the features are applicable to your particular front. I don't think you should expect to see Russian style Eastern Orthodox spires in the middle of Sicily for example

Steve

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=112852

sbr

I played some multiplayer Civ V yesterday; it was my first MP Civ try.

It was pretty fun until the first war broke out.  We didn't have a turn timer and one of the dudes I was at war with took WAY to long on his turns, I don't know if he was trolling us or what.  I think we only played ~20 turns in 90 minutes or so after the war broke out.  I was the main participant in the war ad it was boring to me.

Habbaku

That's what you get for playing with Jaron.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Decided to take a punt on The Secret World. Got it for $10 off Amazon using the $5 promotion discount. It's subscription-free now so why not. Seems to be a serviceable and unique MMO and it's solo-friendly from what I've read.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

KRonn

I got Space Empires V  from Steam for something like $3.75. I had SE IV but haven't played it in a while and wanted to try the new game with the changes and additions which should make for smoother/faster game play. So far just got into it so I'll see how it goes.

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 31, 2013, 01:20:59 PM
Decided to take a punt on The Secret World. Got it for $10 off Amazon using the $5 promotion discount. It's subscription-free now so why not. Seems to be a serviceable and unique MMO and it's solo-friendly from what I've read.

I played it a free weekend when it was new. Had some quality but I never understood why it was MMO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 31, 2013, 01:20:59 PM

Yeah it is pretty good, I have about 100 hours into it but haven't played it in months and don't see myself going back.  Definitely solo friendly, but grouping up is pretty quick and easy too.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on December 28, 2013, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2013, 05:12:18 PM

Good deal.

I still wish they would do the '56-'73 israeli smackdowns. One day hopefully.

Total smack downs aren't much fun.  They did Shock Force where the US, UK, Canada, Germany(!), and the Netherlands(!!) all invade Syria.  To make the missions challenging the player has to attack an enemy position of at least 3 or 4 times his own side.  It got kind of old when your platoon of infantry keeps getting ambushed by a battalion of armor.  And with Javelins, armor never has a chance.  You do get an idea just how much Soviet armor sucks though.