Alabama Kidnapper Threatened to Kill Schoolchildren

Started by garbon, February 04, 2013, 11:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 05, 2013, 08:45:31 AM
DG said you have a contingency plan in every situation, CdM said not necessarily every situation. "Exactly what happened" doesn't apply here, because DG made a universal claim and this is just one incident.

And in situations like this you do, indeed, have contingency plans for all contingencies you can think of, unless you are incompetent.  Those plans may not be palatable under anything but the most extreme conditions, but if you don't make them you are in a job you can't handle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Could giving up and dispersing be considered a contingency?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2013, 10:13:39 AM
Could giving up and dispersing be considered a contingency?

The man giving up could be a contingency, but I am not sure how one man can disperse.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2013, 10:21:10 AM
I wasn't talking about the man. ;)

Okay.  I thought you were referring to my post and thus this situation.   The the subjects dispersing could be a contingency in some situations, but not others.  Ditto for the subjects giving up.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Actually I wonder what would have happened if they had just ceased all contact with the guy and appeared to 'leave'.  Maybe he would have opened the bunker to look around, at which time they could have shot or tazed him or something? :hmm:

I guess he could have also killed the kid had they done that, but it seems like this guy was a giant attention whore so I'm guessing he wouldn't have.  Guess they couldn't take that chance though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

BBC interview with a neighbour on this story:
'There are reports that he allegedly beat a dog to death with a pipe. Is this true?'
'Yes.'
'How did this happen? Why?'

Edit: Two minutes in and they asked a question about the hostage situation :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Poor kid. :(

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/12/16940492-mother-of-boy-held-in-alabama-bunker-says-son-saw-kidnapper-shot?lite
QuoteBy Andrew Rafferty, Staff Writer, NBC News

The six-year-old Alabama boy kidnapped on his way home from school and held for seven days in an underground bunker is having difficulty sleeping and is troubled by the site of school buses, according to the boy's mother.

Jennifer Kirkland, mother of the boy identified by officials only as Ethan, gave her first interview to Dr. Phil McGraw for an episode of the "Dr. Phil Show" set to air Wednesday.

A preview of the show posted online reveals that Ethan saw officers fatally shoot his kidnapper, identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes.

"He said, 'The Army came in and shot the bad man,'" Kirkland said.

Federal agents raided the underground bunker on the sixth day of the standoff when the 65-year-old Dykes thought he would be receiving a delivery.

Though Ethan was not physically injured, Kirkland expressed concerns over the long-term mental effects of the trauma.

"I'm scared of how he's going to take getting on a bus," she said.

During the standoff officials had reported that the boy suffered from Asperger's syndrome.

Ethan, who has yet to return to school, was taken hostage on January 29 after Dykes's boarded his school bus and demanded the bus driver turn over two children, according to authorities. When the driver refused, Dykes fatally shot the driver and took Ethan.

"He has said a few things I know that he is having a very hard time sleeping soundly," said Kirkland. "He slings his arms and tosses and turns and he's cried out a few times."

In an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America,"  McGraw said that Ethan's captor developed empathy for the boy, frying him chicken and taking care of him in the small bunker. 

According to his mother, Ethan has said only a few things about his captivity. "I think he understands there was a very violent act. I think it scared him greatly," McGraw said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 13, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
"... is troubled by the site of school buses ..."

Maybe it was parked in a handicapped space or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

I hope they get that kid to a real doctor and far away from "Dr" Phil. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

What happens when stuff like that happens to kids, schoolwise?  It says he hasn't been to school since Jan. 29.  Does he get a bye, or does he wind up having to repeat the grade, or what?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)